703 OC SUBSTITUTE??

Find out where to get building materials in your local area. If you find a good outlet post it and others will be able to access it through the search engine.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

studio911

703 OC SUBSTITUTE??

Post by studio911 »

Quick question,

I just got off the phone with SPI. They are located right here in my area. I see people on here talk about buying their OC 703 and OC 705 from them, so I called to get their price(s).

It appears that have 2 warehouses in the area. One stocks the OC 703, and the other stocks whats called John Mansfield 814 (also a 3lb rigid fiberglass board).

They can get either one of the two, but said since they already have the JM 814 there, that I should just buy and use it. I asked if the specs were exactly the same between the 2 brands and boards, and they said "as far as they can tell, they are the same". :roll:

Now I dont know alot about insulation(s) so do I just get these JM boards to make my sound absorption panels, or get the OC 703. If I get the 703 they have to get it send from the other warehouse, and its also a little more expensive. (They are going to call me back with exact prices between the two)

Has anyone ever used the John Mansfield brand rigid fiberglass??

Thanks
AJ

[/b]
studio911

Post by studio911 »

SPI just called back,,,, The guy I talked to said he is a musician and sells to people either with, or building studios all the time.

He sorta joked and said "Lets see, you want to sound proof or sound treat your studio, so you opened up a web site that said the latest greatest thing is OC 702, so now you want some" :roll: :lol:

I had to reply with "It isnt just a web site full of freelancer wanna-be's, its packed full of Professionals who know what their talking about!" :D

Anyway, when I asked about the difference between OC and Certainteed or John Mansfield brands, he said "its all in your flavor. Different engineers wants different brands depending on which day it is". Then he gave some examples of some area studios and sound companies and what brand they typically used (I was suprised that one of this areas largest national sound companies, and audio systems installers only used Certainteed Brand)

Anyway, SPI is a dealer in all the brands, so they have no preference as far as selling which brand.

I told hm I would just go with the OC 703, (which is the 3lb insulation and unfaced) and he said my price would be for a bundle of 6- 2ft X 4ft X 2" boards = $49.00. (its a bundle of 6 panels for a total of 48 sq ft)

If I wanted the 705, (which would be 6lb insulation) the same amount would cost me 88.00. (for a bundle of 6 panels, unfaced)

Dont know if that price is good or not, but it seems reasonable. I need to call him back with the order, and he will have it shipped (free) to my local warehouse for me to pick up.

I am still curious about the other brands. :wink:

AJ
tech8953

Post by tech8953 »

Thats some good info. I've been in the process of trying to find some OC in my area and the local place I go says they dont have OC but have the Certainteed, so I had been researching the differences. Thanks