soffits for event precision 8's actives

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

gdaddio

soffits for event precision 8's actives

Post by gdaddio »

ok, almost done with the walls to my studio and now it seems like building soffits for my event precision 8's actives are gonna be the hard part. can anyone help me out with a good construction plan. i also plan on having the wall come in on a 10 degree angle at some point.
speaker specs 16" high x 12 1/2" wide x 12" deep

thanks
kendale

Post by kendale »

Aloha,
can anyone help me out with a good construction plan.
see attached :D
i also plan on having the wall come in on a 10 degree angle at some point.
Is this wall for your soffits? If so, they should be angled @ 30 degrees.

Aloha 8)
Jerry Maguire: Help me... help you. Help me, help you.
gdaddio

Post by gdaddio »

thanks, that was very helpful, yes my walls are 30 degrees from the front wall, when i said 10 degrees i meant coming inward as if making the monitors point downwards, sorry for not making that clear. is there any specific degree for angleling the monitors downward towards the listening position.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Yeah; preferably 0 degrees. I know this isn't always possible, but at least you should angle them ONLY enough to be able to clear any obstructions -

The human ear doesn't receive all frequencies the same at differing angles - highs are attenuated when coming from above, so unless you plan to lean back in your chair all the time, highs will be cut somewhat by high speaker placement. This is part of our "fight or flight" programming from 'way back according to some, but it's documented fact.

Also, placing monitors high and angled downward can increase early reflections off desktops and consoles - ideally, early reflections from these surfaces should pass by BENEATH our ears and get absorbed at the rear wall.

If you can do a scale drawing showing a side view of your space (including your head) and draw some sound paths from speakers to desk and beyond, you'll see what I mean... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
gdaddio

Post by gdaddio »

ok im gonna take your advice, last question then, how high should the monitors be from the ground. i would of said ear listening level but should the speaker base be at that level, the 8" speaker at that level or the tweeter be at that level, since we are on the topic, should i lay the speakers upright or sideways.

thanks again for your help, ill definatly post pictures when im done.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Generally center of woofer should be (in normal, 8 or 9 foot ceilinged room, that is) either 6-9 inches above or below the halfway point between ceiling and floor - centering the woofer will put it in the first null of the vertical mode of the room. If your stuff on the desk sits fairly high, then above the halfway point makes more sense.

Depending on where this puts your ears, they may end up being BELOW the halfway point vertically - if you do a side elevation drawing you can see if keeping the speakers level will still keep your ears well within the plus or minus 15 degree range from perpendicular to the speaker face - this is because most speakers will only have this much variance in listening position before treble starts to noticeably fall off.

This decision (angling or not) should also be influenced by whether or not you have a "producer's couch" at the rear of the CR - you don't want to angle the monitors to such an extent that highs are reduced at that point either - distance will attenuate the highs enough as it is. This (and line of sight, and keeping ears out of vertical nulls)) is why a lot of rear couches are on a raised dais.

All other things being equal, any point from the center of the speaker box (small speakers) to the center of the tweeter should be aimed at the ears, whether both ears and speaker are at same height or if speakers are above, ears below the half-way point between ceiling and floor... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...