Mogami Cables $$$ vs Quality

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

frostgfx

Mogami Cables $$$ vs Quality

Post by frostgfx »

Question:

Is it really necessary to buy Mogami Gold Neglex mic cables for my studio, at about $55/per, or could I use the Gold Stage version which is 5' longer, 'Quad cable' like the Neglex and about $15/per less?

Will sound quality really suffer? I'd sure like to have the extra 5' on each cable as I am only going to have one XLR panel on the outside of my CR for my live area.

I already bought 10 Silver Series Mogami cables -25ft. for the Drum Booth and my temporary setup at home.

I'd like to make the right investment the first time if there is a marked quality change from Gold Studio Series to Gold Stage Series...

I am running Mogami cable for my multi-snakes, racks, Patchbay, etc.

Thanks,

Jon
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

If you make them yourself, you can save a whole lot of money.
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Aaron:

I was thinking about getting the cable from Redco Audio with Neutrik M/F XLRs and home brewing them... what cable would you recommend? Is Neglex really necessary?

Check out my space under Meow Mix in Studio construction.... posted some pix of raw space...

Jon
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

For mic cables, I actually like Canare as my first preference. For multipair cable, I prefer the Mogami.

If budget is the main concern, I have some links to other cable under the technical resources and info thread at the top of the forum.
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Aaron:
What is the spec for the cable... want to have one primary vendor for mic cables and want the best cables I can afford for Condenser mics going to Tube Pres, etc... AKG C414, ATM 4050, AKG C451s, Neuman TLM 103s, etc.

I assume that 'not just any cable will do' these days for all the digital signal chain... Longest cable would be 30', maybe a couple at 50'. Neutrik M/F silver connectors most likely.

Thanks for your help.

Jon
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

I bought some Mogami Quad cable a few weeks ago. It was about .66 cents a foot. And it comes in multiple colors. When I get home I'll get some part #'s for the stuff and post.
Velvet Elvis

Post by Velvet Elvis »

Just to throw this in... I've been buying cable from a company out of Chicago called "Gepco".

They have good specs (very similar to Mogami and Canare) and they are way cheaper for the things I've priced out anyhow.

They build cable for radio station installs and digital audio, so they are worth checking out.

They manufacture in house or can send parts... whichever you prefer and they stock (and use) switchcraft and neutrik ends.

Jim
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

Yes, Gepco and Horizon both, are a reasonably priced cable w/ similar specs compared to high priced Mogami for those on a serious budget.

The Mogami mic cable I have is the Neglex 2534. The Canare mic cable I have is the L-4E6S (which is the star quad, braided shield) and comes in like 10 different colors or so (just like the 2534, except the braided shield).

Neutrik M/F silver connectors
Do you mean the Nickel finish?

You can also go for the gold pins if you really want. But nickle will be just fine.

How much are you paying for connectors, etc.? I can probably give you a contact (and anyone else for that matter): www.greendotaudio.com His name is Mark. Tell him I sent you and he might give you a good deal. My last name since it's not posted is Wiles.

He might talk your ear off, but he's harmless... :lol:
frostgfx

Post by frostgfx »

Thanks everyone for your input on mic cables... will send for quotes to Gepco, greendotaudio and Redco Audio... see what I come up with and post back for others to see... Will also hav them quote on my flush mount XLR panesl as well... Loaded of course.

I had a feeling that $64 per cable was outrageous!!! And so it appears!!!

Where would we all be without RSD forum???

Namaste,

Jon