Looking for comments

Discuss studios designed and built by others.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

Wendell

Looking for comments

Post by Wendell »

done
Last edited by Wendell on Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

You're a good carpenter mate :) I like the ceiling idea - very cool.

Looking forward to the finished pics

cheers
john
Wendell

Post by Wendell »

done
Last edited by Wendell on Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Wendell, I'm really impressed overall; some really good ideas and implementations there. I am, however, wondering about your ceilings and loading; looks like a lot of weight is going on those 2x8's. Have you done span calcs on this? (I'd be surprised if not, as thorough as everything else is) - still, quietrock (besides being over-priced) is very heavy. Is it your plan to completely cover the "sawteeth" with it, or am I misinterpreting?

Overall, I have to agree with John; a very masterfully thought out project, thank you for sharing. I've bookmarked the site to use as an example of what can be done 8) Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
sharward

Post by sharward »

Very interesting project -- and great photos documenting its progress. 8)

I noticed this picture has what appears to be an existing outlet that is being decommissioned or rendered inaccessible with the new wall in front of it:

Are there any "live wires" in that old outlet box? If so, then it's not to code -- all junction boxes must be accessible.

Regardless, I would think that the old outlet box is a hole in your isolation.

Did you pull permits for this project?

--Keith :mrgreen:
"Converting a garage into living space requires a city permit . . . homeowners insurance won't cover a structure that's been changed without a building permit . . ." --Sacramento Bee, May 27, 2006
Wendell

Post by Wendell »

done
Wendell

Post by Wendell »

done
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

I'm not at all worried about the SPF or spruce 2x8's, they'd even go 20/10 at that span; but I'm not sure how you have those angled 2x4's fastened to the joists, or why they wouldn't just pull out whatever fasteners with that much weight - near as I can see from the drawing, only the fasteners seem to be holding the zig-zag frames to the joists. Hope they're good-uns :wink:

Acoustically, the septums between "valleys" will likely lessen (if not entirely eliminate) the tendency of higher frequency sounds to reflect back out of corners (parallel to the incoming sound, if it's a 90 degree corner). So not only does it LOOK cool, it should work acoustically as well... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
Wendell

Post by Wendell »

done
Last edited by Wendell on Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Yeah, that's what I was referring to; I think you'll WANT those baffles (what I referred to as "septums" - or you'll likely get specular reflections at different points around the mix position -

Just noticed you're going with a Tascam 3200 - good luck with that. I have a DM24 that's never been used, partly because of my work load but largely because Tascam doesn't seem to believe in customer support any more. They finally discontinued their forum rather than address the issues with the DM24. Prior to that, they nearly BANNED me for calling their marketing people a bunch of liars in public :lol:

I also have some of their older gear, but doubt if I'll ever buy anything of theirs again after the last experience. In fact, I'm still considering selling the DM24 and meter bridge and putting that money toward an expanded 02R96 when I build my new studio... Steve
sharward

Post by sharward »

Wendell wrote:The home owner [pulled permits]. Why would you ask?
Excellent. 8) Often we see big construction projects taking place without permits.

"Converting a garage into living space requires a city permit . . . homeowners insurance won't cover a structure that's been changed without a building permit . . ." --Sacramento Bee, May 27, 2006
Wendell

Post by Wendell »

done
Last edited by Wendell on Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sharward

Post by sharward »

Wendell wrote:Oops, I’m starting to ramble. I do that at times. What the hell does this have to do with a permit?:wink:
Rambling is always welcome -- if not, I'd have been run out on a rail ages ago! :lol:

Anyway, I hope your "what the hell does this have to do with a permit? ;)" is just your poking fun at yourself and not taking issue with my asking the question. :)

In any event, I ask because I've learned a lot about the permitting process and, needless to say, I've become a big proponent of it for a variety of reasons -- that horse has been pretty much beaten to a pulp in the "Permits, Codes, Licenses -- and WHY YOU SHOULD CARE!" thread (now "stickied" -- thanks Steve!).

It doesn't seem like I offended you or got on your nerves, Wendell -- but if I did, then I apologize, for that's surely not my intent (and never is). :)

dkelley

Post by dkelley »

knightfly wrote:Just noticed you're going with a Tascam 3200 - good luck with that. I have a DM24 that's never been used, partly because of my work load but largely because Tascam doesn't seem to believe in customer support any more. They finally discontinued their forum rather than address the issues with the DM24. Prior to that, they nearly BANNED me for calling their marketing people a bunch of liars in public :lol:
If you want to get rid of that piece of junk ;-) dm24 I'll take it off your hands... could use another one around here as a backup. Interested in selling cheap? They're going cheap these days on ebay...
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Yeah, I know they're going cheap - sometimes I'm too stubborn for my own good, but will probably keep it, do the preamp mods myself, and use it mainly for a DAW controller (run Sonar and Samplitude, both allow a fair amount of control) but thanks for the offer... Steve