Cable length to feed a pair of KRKs

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

chinocurva

Cable length to feed a pair of KRKs

Post by chinocurva »

Hey, all of you!

I'm willing connect the output of Crest power amplifier to a pair of KRK KroK boxes. Everything fine until here...
The problem is that I'd like to put the amplifier in a specific room where all of the massively noisy machines will go, and that's 8 to 9 meters away from the main output and the speakers.

So, making a resume, I have my main output, then 8 meters of Belden wire until the power amplifier, then 8 more meters back to the speakers.
Will I have any considerable signal loss? If so, how can I solve that?
Is there any practical idea or scientific answer for this?

Thank you very much. My regards.

Chino.
"Andar significa ir lejos. Ir lejos significa retornar." (Tao Te Ching)

www.chinocourvoisier.com.ar
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

The wires from your main outputs to the power amp need to be balanced so they don't pick up too much noise, and should be 16 gauge; don't run them close to (or parallel to) any power wires.

The lines from power amp to speakers need to be UN-shielded, and for that length they should be 12 gauge stranded wire, maybe even 10 gauge -

Normally, it's better to use power amps that have passive cooling (no fans) and mount them ABOVE your speakers (not below), but if you must use amps with fans, the above wiring will work OK... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
chinocurva

Post by chinocurva »

Thank you, Knighfly. Very useful.

Chino.
"Andar significa ir lejos. Ir lejos significa retornar." (Tao Te Ching)

www.chinocourvoisier.com.ar
mpedrummer

Post by mpedrummer »

Knightfly -

Why above? Heat?
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

One more piece of advice...keep the wires the same length Left/Right.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Above because of heat - specifically, if the amp is below the speakers, heat from the amp causes air convection currents worse than if the amp is above speaker level; the uneven air heating causes speed of sound to change as it passes thru this heated air, and this can make for some really weird phase-type distortions at the listening position... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
len-morgan

Post by len-morgan »

And just to add to what Steve said, I think the change in the speed of sound is frequency dependant so it would be like putting an equalizer in the line which you have no control over.

len