Slot Resonator Slat Layout

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

giles117

Post by giles117 »

Ok. What do you suggest. I am going shopping tommorrow to build this thing by then end of the day.

Like Bruce I angled my wall (exactly like bruce I should point out. at a 6 degree angle on either side (split at the middle)

Bryan
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

well start by giving us a drawing of what you are doing. :wink: :wink:

cheers
john
giles117

Post by giles117 »

This is a ruff of my control room

As I stated it is a room in a room deal.

Bryan

The back flat outer wall is R-13 Insul and one sheet 3/8" Drywall (On the control room side.)

The angled wall of course is what I want advice on. :)

Bryan
giles117

Post by giles117 »

I should point out, that the wall around the plan (on the VERY outside is the existing room) When I say outer wallas far as construction, I am speaking of the rectangular structure inside the VERY outside wall shown.

Bryan

Just angle info. The soffits are 30 degree, the front side walls are 12 degree, the rear side walls are 6 degree, the rear walls are 6 degree respectively.
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

I emailed you this drawing this morning - hope it helps

cheers
john
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Hey Thanks John, I emailed you back......

Just trying to clear up somethings before I get too far along.

I am floating my floor tommorrow and building the front wall.

Side walls and electrical will be on Friday Morning (temp will be about 72 it has been 92-98 up here the past 4 days)

Saturday I will frame the remainder of the studio, Monday pick up Rock wool and finish interior walls by Tuesday evening.

Wednesday is paint and stain then Thursday is 1st use day.

Hurried time table, but projects do not wait....

Bryan
illium

Post by illium »

regarding the varied slot and slat width, i agree with eric that it sounds odd to me, as i understand the resonator model, having a specific slot depth and width is very important to it's functionality as a narrow band resonator. without that consistency, what does it do? i am at a complete loss to synthesize it's behaviour model in my mind. it would seem that it would actually be less effective, but effect a wider range.

i say it's less effective because it seems like only the slots that had the same width would be 'active' at any given time, thus giving you a smaller percentage of useful slots.. furthermore, i would think that the other slots that weren't tuned to the frequency at the moment would funcation as 'air leaks' or at least, the slots that were wider would...

i dunno, i'm still wrestling with the helmholtz resonator model in general, so i might be missing something, though those dutch animations that eric linked to were very helpful in visualizing the behaviour of the air.

on another mental track though, i am curious about an idea for a modfied design... what if you angled the slats like in a window shutter? wouldn't this give a deeper slot without the need for thicker panels? does the aperature need to be at a 90 degree angle? i've attached a simple picture to illustrate...

thanks,

_illium
illium

Post by illium »

in reading one of barefoot's older posts from last feburary, i realized i was missing a fundamental element of the idea of a slot resonator.. which i think applies to this discussion...

he said "In a slot resonator all the slots act in tandem as a single neck. "

which means that a resonator with varied slot widths and depths would still average out to specific resonant frequency, correct? that it is still functioning as a single resonator would...

now if each slat had a volume of airspace that was seperate and unique to it's opening, it would function as multiple different resonators at the same time... thus being a 'broadband resonator'...

i was mistaken in my previous post thinking that the size of the aperature was related to frequency by itself, rather than as a part of the ratio between cavity volume and neck volume (or as bigfoot simplified, slot width and cavity depth)...

hmm.. wish it had been less time since i was in a physics class. too many years of atrophied physics muscles in my head.. (:

_illium