between the windows

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

smog

between the windows

Post by smog »

I am building a separation control room/live room window. I’m using two sills sandwiching thick neoprene rubber for decoupling. My question is, what have people used between the to pieces of glass to reduce reflections ? I was thinking of Styrofoam wrapped in thick fabric. Can anyone suggest a more professional alternative ?
Ethan Winer

Re: between the windows

Post by Ethan Winer »

Smog,

> I was thinking of Styrofoam wrapped in thick fabric. <

That's what I've done, and it can look very professional if you do it carefully.

I'll also suggest something else you should put between the windows: some dessicant (silica gel) to keep moisture from clouding the glass panes from the inside.

--Ethan
smog

Post by smog »

Thanks for the tip Ethan. Where can I get the silica gel ?
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

http://web.ask.com/web?q=buy+dessicant&qsrc=1

Or, you could buy 500 cameras, take out the little package of silica gel, and throw the rest away :roll: (yes, I'm kidding)

The cloth between windows is fine, pick a darker color to minimise reflections. It shouldn't show dust, since this area should be sealed really well for acoustic performance.

However, be careful what you wrap in the cloth - Styrofoam is closed cell (bad for acoustic absorption) and volatile (bad for health if it burns) - Ideally, you want the reveal between glasses to absorb well enough to bleed off what sound manages to penetrate the first glass, and allow it to dissipate between the two leaves of the double wall... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...