Shelf mounting monitors?

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

s3

Shelf mounting monitors?

Post by s3 »

Hi All,

Yes, I posted this in the design forum as well...

Due to the smallness of my room and the lack of available floor space (no room for stands), I would like to place my Mackie HR824s on shelves approximately 42 inches in elevation and angle them down to my mix position. Is this at all feasible? If yes, what is the best way to decouple the speakers from the shelf and wall (I have a set of Auralex Mo-Pads). What else can I do? I want to shelf them due to my inability ot get them set at an acceptable listening angle. I have no room to soffit mount as I would have liked. I figure I need them set about 5 feet apart minimum. My desk is only 4 feet wide. My understanding is that angling them down to my ears will help minimize reflections off the back wall. How much of an angle is too much?

For reference I have included the link below to the pic of my space. The room is set up as John suggested, like the first large pic. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
S3

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=551
giles117

Post by giles117 »

And I responded in the design forum....

Bryan Giles
barefoot

Post by barefoot »

How about something like on of these:

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm ... oup_ID=372

If you really want to reduce the vibration transfer to the wall I'd suggest a massive support anchored to the wall studs. Go to your local scrap yard and find two thick (1/2" to 1") steel plates - wide enough to span two wall studs. Drill the appropriate holes in the center to attach the speaker mounting bracket and 4 holes towards the outside corners so you can lag screw the whole assembly into the wall studs.

Thomas
Thomas Barefoot
Barefoot Sound