Marc's Patio/Garage Studio: Upgrading Service to 200amps

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

guitardad72

Marc's Patio/Garage Studio: Upgrading Service to 200amps

Post by guitardad72 »

In preparation for my studio I am up grading my electric service to 200 amps, having a new main breaker box & pole installed outside at the meter location and relocating my service panel from one inside location to another, which will now become a sub panel.

Current 40 year old 150amp panel is full & I have no main breaker outside. New Sub Panel inside will have 40 spaces with 10 open breaker spaces left after install, main breaker/meter panel outside will have 8 spaces and I guess 7 left after install.

I live in Florida, my entire property & concrete block house sits on sand.

What, if anything should I be concerned about in regards to how electricians install the new service?

One electrician who provided a quote higher then the electrician I am choosing suggested using 2 oversized grounding rods.

On page 3 of my studio thread, half way down and in more than one post I have more sorted details & pics, basically describing options of how I came to this upgrade decision:

Marc's Patio & Garage Studio

I can provide pics of current service if needed.

Marc
As of Jun 2011, have not finished studio. But working as The One Man Band Marc Dobson which hopefully will continue up my career to a point where I can afford to finish my build.
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

What, if anything should I be concerned about in regards to how electricians install the new service?

One electrician who provided a quote higher then the electrician I am choosing suggested using 2 oversized grounding rods.
I don't see any issue w/ driving a second rod in. In fact you could probably do 3. Just run a wire between them (tie them together) so you've got a good ground. Since you've got sand, you might try and add some soil and copper sulfate (mixed together) and bury it w/ your rods.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Also, check out the "sticky" here on STAR grounding systems... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...