Doing acoustic measurements

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Doing acoustic measurements

Post by Guest »

I'm interesting in measurements of room acoustic, with measurement software and hardware. What to use, and how.. I read articles about ETF Acoustic.. and SIA Smaart, but, where to start, in what place to measure, where to position measurement microphone.
That is, couse, i want to be shure, that acoustic treatment of some room (listening or studio room), is done right.. I know that my ear is final judge.. but doing measurements is good starting point.
Is there good tutorial, how to "read" measurement results...
barefoot

Post by barefoot »

Those software packages should provide manuals that describe the various measurement techniques and outline what the data means. Knowing specifically how to interpret a particular set of data, however, will probably depend quite a bit on your education and experience. Every measurement situation is different, so various factors need to be considered when trying to draw realistic conclusions. It's the art of science and engineering we develop through practice. And it's difficult to imagine that anyone would get very far without at least a rudimentary understanding of the underlying physics of the system in question. I don't think these aspects can be wrapped up in a tutorial.

Thomas
Thomas Barefoot
Barefoot Sound
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

I agree with Thomas- I think you can just confuse yourself if you aren't aware of what you are doing and what to look for.

cheers
john