New thoughts on CR

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Michael Jones

Post by Michael Jones »

egcc wrote:Michael, in refernce to my posts - you misunderstood, so let me explain. In the first picture, croom1a, I was suggesting the location of two CEILING BEAMS, which would gently slope upwards from your front wall to whatever height is available at the back wall. This has no effect on the room shape, geometry, modal response, etc. It's just in the ceiling. The second picture, croom1b, was a profile showing how the ceiling beams would slope upwards from the front of the room to the back. There would be some 'interesting' framing from the outside of each beam to the outer wall on each side of the CR.

Basically the ceiling would be a flat surface sloped upwards from the front to the back of the CR, and the ceiling outside each roof beam would slope down to your CR side walls. Hope that makes more sense now.
I see!!
Yes, I completely misunderstood. My bad.
Makes sense now.
That was one of the design approaches I looked at, and it could work out very well.
Thanks for the help.

The framing for that actually wouldn't be too difficult. The ceiling beams would just need to basically be trusses with a flat chord.
(The chord is the bottom part of a truss.)
Then you just fill in between the truss and the CR wall with what's known as "dead wood"; framing members that have little to no structural value, they're just there to give a surface for drywall to screw to. They would actually have a slight slope to them as you went back, but, no biggie from a framing stand point.

Again, thanks for the help. Sorry I mis-understood the first time.