Acoustic room positioning and treatment

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

rhinodesign

Acoustic room positioning and treatment

Post by rhinodesign »

Hi,
Newb here, I have a room I want to record and work in, it is 16 x 12.5 feet drywall. Terrible acoustics now, when I speak or clap or anything there is a very distinct ringing (standing waves?) just awful. I know I need absorption but I don't know for sure which walls to cover and where to position the desk and equipment in the space for best results.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. I just want it to be a more pleasant space to create music.

I am going to try and attach the sketches I created, one of just the room, the other of the current position of the equipment.
Thanks in advance for advice,

mike
Ethan Winer

Re: Acoustic room positioning and treatment

Post by Ethan Winer »

Mike,

Yes, you definitely need absorption. The cheapest solution is to use rigid fiberglass, placing thick dense panels across the corners to handle the low frequency reflections, and other panels flat on the walls for reducing echo and overall ambience. There are also commercial absorber panels yo can buy, and which solution you choose depends on your budget and how handy you are with tools.

--Ethan
rhinodesign

Post by rhinodesign »

Thanks Ethan,

I do know that I need absorption and bass trapping, and diffusion(?). I'm just wondering where would be the right places to put the fibergass panels. I've had read many things about it, but I am still not sure about this room. For example I have read if you put absorption on one place of a parallel wall, then leave the opposite side untreated.

I am also wondering if my positioning of the desk and monitors is the best acoustic position and how to treat the front and back walls (absorption, trapping. or diffusion)

I was planning on hanging some kind of acoustic foam on much of the room, but after reading your posts and others here, I am realizing that covering some rigid fiberglass with fabric would be a better way to go. Plus I will be able to angle the panels to change the angle of reflections. (should they be angled towards the front or the rear?)

-mike
Ethan Winer

Post by Ethan Winer »

Mike,

> I'm just wondering where would be the right places to put the fibergass panels. <

I just explained that in my previous post! See my Acoustics FAQ for more information, with pictures and drawings even. :D

www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

> I have read if you put absorption on one place of a parallel wall, then leave the opposite side untreated. <

I think that's bad advice, at least for entire walls, because you always want symmetry in a control room. One method is to install 2x2 foot panels in a checkerboard pattern, and in that case you could have a bare spotl opposite a panel, but only because overall the two walls are basically symmetrical.

> I am also wondering if my positioning of the desk and monitors is the best acoustic position and how to treat the front and back walls (absorption, trapping. or diffusion) <

Your placement looks good. I think that room is probably too small to benefit from diffusion. Others here may have better advice about the suitability of diffusion.

> I will be able to angle the panels to change the angle of reflections. <

Fiberglass panels absorb, not reflect. Though angling the panels may help absorption a little at low frequencies.

--Ethan