WTF???

Get your "what mic?" frustration or "have you heard" out here. The language could get real okka in here mate.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

quatermass

WTF???

Post by quatermass »

I just can't believe it... This is a new company called MSR inc.

http://www.audiosfx.com/studiopanel/index.php

They're selling "...StudioPanel™ System... is scientifically calculated to give you the optimal absorption and diffusion characteristics... scientifically designed and rigorously tested set of materials that provide absorption and diffusion..."
JEEZ! Which scientific calculations? Which materials?? The only REAL material they're mentioning is... Guilford of Maine fabric!
How can i buy something i can't see from a company i can barely trust?
I think people like Ethan must be nominated for a Nobel...
giles117

Post by giles117 »

They must be reputable cuz they have such nice pics. :)
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Should be called MSRP - Magic Smoke, Ridiculous Prices...
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
giles117

Post by giles117 »

Hey Steve, don;t forget the mirrors. LOL

Bryan Giles
eminor7thfunk

MSR Studio Panel = engineered product

Post by eminor7thfunk »

Hi gents,

I can help but comment. StudioPanel products have been tested in ASTM compliant acoustics laboratories like Riverbank Labs and Orfield labs. Absorption coefficients and scattering characteristics are well documented. The system, when properly installed, works from 30 Hz to 20 kHz.

Absorber = high density mineral wool
Diffuser = slotted style 2D phase gradient
Bazorber = tympanic diaphragam attached to resonant chamber
SpringTrap = pistonic diaphragm attached to resonant chamber
Cloud panel = high density mineral wool with ceiling hangers

I am happy to give you more information. Perhaps reserve saying negative things about our products until you really know about them. For more information visit www.studio-panel.com

Thanks for starting some interest. Regards, Evan
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Evan, sorry if my comments weren't appreciated; it's just that this is predominatly a DIY site, and $200 for a 2' x 4' absorber is about $160 more than a comparable DIY panel would cost.

Other than that, 30 hZ? What do the mounting instructions say, mount 9.4 feet away from nearest wall? Or is this one of the spring trap types? I am curious how your products work that low; really.

Other than that, like I said most people here are mainly DIY so they can actually afford to HAVE a studio.

Tell me how you do 30 hZ, and I'll be glad to retract the "snake oil" part... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
Sword9

Re: MSR Studio Panel = engineered product

Post by Sword9 »

eminor7thfunk wrote:Hi gents,

Perhaps reserve saying negative things about our products until you really know about them.
Well, this was from 2 years ago and probably no one had looked at it since then.
SaM Harrison
Location Engineers
Nashville, TN
AVare
Confused, but not senile yet

Post by AVare »

Evan, Steve:

Interesting development in this post. No doubt the products are good at what they do.

How on earth can you post about product testing from Riverbank and Orfield down to 30 Hz to ASTM standards, when their reverb chambers aren't even large enought to go down to 50 or 63 Hz per ASTM standards?

You may have good intentions in your posts here, but with this thread having posts from you mentioning the labs, ASTM testing, and 30 Hz, this brings up suspicion. To my knowledge there is only one test facility with a reverberation chamber large enough to test to 50 Hz (Vibro-Acoustics with their 20,000 ft^3 chamber), much less 30 Hz!

If you have read a couple of hundred threads here, you wil realize that we are from a widely disparate group that includes world class studio designers, acousticians, acoustics andineers, and other people familair with field on a technical level.

Clarification is eagerly awaited.

Andre
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

looks like spring trap with helmholtz.

http://msr-inc.com/sp_specs.php
Glenn