Power amp + pasive Vs. Active monitors

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

hugo_inside

Power amp + pasive Vs. Active monitors

Post by hugo_inside »

1.- There's a thread about this? What do you prefer?

2.- I have a question about investing my money. I need a middlefield monitors, but perhaps in future I want to buy another pair for a diferent listening.

So it's better buying a power amp and a pasive pair. Or active ones sound better?

3.- I want to buy the dynaudio BM15a. And perhaps 1 year after I will get the Adams s3a...

So... why not a power amp and two pasive monitors?

4.- I don't know what power amplifier is good on studio monitors. Could you advice me?
malfunction

Post by malfunction »

Hello there hugo!

It's always better to have active pair since the amplifiers are matched with the speakers they are driving.
On the other hand if you have A LOT of money, then there are systems (like genelec) with amps optimized to certain speakers.

But for the budget-type speakers I would go with active.

You should look around and see what the pro-studios are using. You can't go wrong following them :)

-Tomi-
hugo_inside

Post by hugo_inside »

I have a genelec 1029 active pair. I don't want another genelecs, maybe in future, but I want a diferent kind of monitors like dynaudio or adam.

My control room is about 4 x 5 meters and 3 meters heigh. Perhaps 150w are too much power for my room. Maybe I must look for Dynaudio bm6a or adam p22a.

What do you think?
malfunction

Post by malfunction »

I think barefoot said in some thread that he wouldn't recommend anything bigger than 5" speakers for small rooms. I would start from that.

-Tomi-
Violinman

Post by Violinman »

Hi Hugo_inside

Don´t know whether this helps you

I use a Pair of Rogers LS3/5a (BBC monitors) and a Meridian 557 or a Quad 303.Both sound Great to me on Classical stuff.
Cheers
Violinman