KILLER home system

Forum for all aspects of speakers and speaker design.

Moderator: Aaronw

laptoppop

KILLER home system

Post by laptoppop »

Saw this on rec.audio.pro - thought it might be fun to share.

http://www.theanalogdept.com/molinier.htm

-lee-
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

WTF!!! I couldn't think of anything worse - I bet it sounds like shit - so many drivers I wonder what the imaging is like ?? I'd prefer a wall of Killatones :):)

cheers
john
barefoot

Post by barefoot »

Yeah, I guess there's a cult for everyone these days.

Looks like the guy who built this must be the Reverend Sun Myun Moon of the vinyl/tube/horn followers. :roll:

Thomas
Thomas Barefoot
Barefoot Sound
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

I can imagine the "come round and listen to my house" invitation :)

as someone once said - who wants an orchestra in your lounge room??

cheers
john
rsb

ouch

Post by rsb »

:x I would never claim to have Golden ears, but they are sensitive. I have a good friend that thinks home theater is synonymous with acute pain between the ears.

Maybe not to this extreme but very close.

ouch
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Holy crap, Tim Taylor ("Home Improvement" TV show) has discovered sound - the world is DOOMED... :=)
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
barefoot

Post by barefoot »

Just a point.... BIG doesn't necessarily have to mean LOUD.

One very good approach to low distortion loudspeaker design is to use a large array of drivers with a lot of surface area. This way you can move the same volume of air (sound volume) with much less effort on the part of each individual component.... smaller amplitudes and greater heat dissipation resulting in reduced distortion and dynamic compression.

My problem with this system is its predilection towards compression drivers, horns, and tube amplifiers - components with a lot of snake oil hype, but rather abysmal performance specs.

Thomas
Thomas Barefoot
Barefoot Sound
AndrewMc

Post by AndrewMc »

That's hillarious! Like something out of Waynes World.

I guess they like it loud :shock:
Andrew McMaster
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Yeah, I bet if you got 'em phased wrong and made the mistake of standing in front when it got turned on, they'd never find your body - (round and round he goes, and where he stops, nobody knows... :=)
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
Velvet Elvis

Post by Velvet Elvis »

Man... most of the guys on that site have wayyyyyyyyyy too much crap... it looks like a bunch of people with jr. high syndrome where you plug as many speakers as possible into your system... because obviously more is better :?

I guess I'm going to have to replace my simple home theater system with some Clair Brothers flying rig speakers and a couple tens of thousands of watts worth of Carver amps...

forget STC ratings... how much SPL can drywall take before you physically blow the back wall out of your room!?!? :lol: :oops:

Velvet Elvis