Frequency Range

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

rsb

Frequency Range

Post by rsb »

:D I am trying to get the wall units to cover a full range from about 180HZ to 500HZ. What I have built so far is a box like the one below and have put in 2 inches of 703 then took the off cuts and made them take the top and bottom half to 3 inches.

Should I keep the thickness uniform and not put those 2 pieces in or should I leave them?

My second question is with my back wall. I have built a few panel traps and will be building a false wall in front of them.

This false wall will be 1/2 pegboard over 2" of 703 and 1/2 cloth over 2" 703 ( In a checker pattern )

The question is, should I angle this wall like the back of so many of Johns rooms or should I leave it flat?

I imagine a V with the point going into the room. This would deflect the sound onto some absorbers I am putting on the walls.

Thanks for any help
Ryan
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Ryan, first what is the overall length, front to back, of your room, from the wall in front of the mix position to the wall at the rear?

Second, what is that concave "vee" on your trap drawing - is it pegboard, cloth, what? (Concave hard surfaces aren't good in studios)

You would get better broadband effects with 703 if it's spaced off the wall, at least for perpendicular coincidence... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
rsb

Post by rsb »

I should have put these links in my previous post. They have some background on the decisions to set things up the way I am.

First this one gives the distance to the back wall with a picture of what I was wondering with the angle in the back.

http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... highlight=

The second one has Johns suggestion for the wall unit change. Which so far looks like it will be pretty cool.

http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... highlight=

Thanks again for your time

Ryan
rsb

Post by rsb »

With some reading I think I will just leave it and put these together.

In Johns words "Fill the box and put on the slats"

Thanks

Ryan