8' Versus 9' Ceilings

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

phyl

8' Versus 9' Ceilings

Post by phyl »

The project studio I plan to build will be in a new house. The builder will do 9' foot ceilings in the basement for about $5k extra and I'm thinking about going for it, mainly because of the extra headroom I would have after floating a floor and adding two layers of sheetrock and RC to the ceiling.

Any opinions? Are there any other significant benefits I'm missing, or would it be $5k wasted?
Dan Fitzpatrick

Post by Dan Fitzpatrick »

do you have any tall friends? :D

i would do it, i'm starting wiht an 8 ft 1 inch ceiling and i will end up with maybe 4-6 inches above my head when standing (i'm 6 feet tall) ...

don't forget you will lose several more inches when you do ceiling absorption. you definitely will not be playing guitar townshend style either.

dan
phyl

Post by phyl »

On the ceiling I figured I would lose approx. ~1.5" due to drywall (two layers) plus the thickness of the RC. Is there other ceiling treatment that I'm missing?

I'm still crawling through the FAQ articles so it's possible I've missed something.
Dan Fitzpatrick

Post by Dan Fitzpatrick »

once you start learning about the interior acoustics, you may discover you need to add absorption insulation to your ceilings, because they are so low they will reflect sound and hurt your recordings.

so you might be adding absorbers to your ceiling that could take up 4 or 5 inches (maybe more, maybe less? not sure) anyway you should check into this before deciding on ceiling height. dan
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

I agree; in fact, if you're feeling REALLY flush, you might ask about 10 foot ceilings - even if you don't need extra headroom for a floated floor/max isolation, a room with an 8' false ceiling and 2 feet of insulated air gap, with slots cut into the ceiling material, will sound AWESOME.

More is ALWAYS better, if you can afford it... Steve
bryanarchy

Post by bryanarchy »

Dan Fitzpatrick wrote:once you start learning about the interior acoustics, you may discover you need to add absorption insulation to your ceilings, because they are so low they will reflect sound and hurt your recordings.

so you might be adding absorbers to your ceiling that could take up 4 or 5 inches (maybe more, maybe less? not sure) anyway you should check into this before deciding on ceiling height. dan
A bit of a ceiling absorption question... if noise leakage isn't an issue, can treatment (to improve recording quality) be localized, say, over the drum spot?
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Absolutely; if ceilngs are lower than maybe 14 feet an absorbent "cloud" placed over drums will improve the sound of especially the overhead mics - usually also a few non-backed Gobo's around the kit and a foot or so from walls will help get rid of boundary effects on mics for a better sound... Steve