Stupid question(newbie)

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

flipwhip41

Stupid question(newbie)

Post by flipwhip41 »

I want to build a studio (live room) in my unfinished basement. A 15'x10' with partitions already up, no sheet rock, no insulation, but I dont know much about insulation. The room needs to be as sound proof as possible. I just want to know what is best for stopping sound transmission. Also for the ceiling I can't use sheet rock because I have many pipes I may have to get to in the future. I was thinking about a suspended ceiling. What kind off sound blocking materials can i put behind that. I can lower it max 8" Any help is much appreciated. :D
{Live To Play Live}
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

This may help a bit -

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... erts#22374

Also, for a drop grid ceiling you can build your own inserts for the T-bar grid - for each insert, you would want 2 layers of 5/8 gypsum wallboard, with each insert ONLY glued along edges, just enough to keep them aligned when inserting. As much insulation as you can fit, with closed cell weatherstrip around each cavity so the panels rest on the weatherstrip;

This isn't ideal, and I've no way to calculate the effect of doing this vs. having continuous drywall layers with NO COINCIDENT seams, other than to say "good luck"... Steve
PhiloBeddoe

Post by PhiloBeddoe »

Be careful with the weight of the drywall on the suspended ceiling. The average grid is designed to handle those lightweight tiles, not two layers of 5/8".

If you're concerned about accessing valves, you could build access panels for them if there's not too many. You could also look into moving the valves into a space outside the studio area where they'll be accessible. You may, of course, have other reasons to want access to the pipes like future tie ins or something.

Best of luck
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Good call Philo, I'd seen some heavier duty T grid somewhere but forgot to mention it; I agree that access panels would likely give better results.

Flip, got any pix of your plumbing nightmare we can ogle?? Steve
flipwhip41

Thanks

Post by flipwhip41 »

I'll try to post the pics. The main reason for the drop ceiling is not for acces valves (though i will ponder that) but, because our plumer that we used to build the house has come under suspicion lately. We've already fixed two big leaks and thought that if we hand another leak a drop ceiling would make it easier to fix. But mabey a drop ceiling is not worth it since sound control is a pretty big issue.
{Live To Play Live}
sharward

Re: Thanks

Post by sharward »

flipwhip41 wrote:. . . our plumer that we used to build the house has come under suspicion lately. We've already fixed two big leaks and thought that if we hand another leak a drop ceiling would make it easier to fix. But mabey a drop ceiling is not worth it since sound control is a pretty big issue.
Regardless, it might be wise to hire an inspector to thoroughly check the pipes before you cover them up in any manner. If there's a notable deficiency, you can have it corrected before putting your new construction at risk.
flipwhip41

good idea

Post by flipwhip41 »

Thanks I will definitely do that.
{Live To Play Live}