sprinklers ?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Kali

sprinklers ?

Post by Kali »

First hello to all members. I've been reading the forum for a while now, and since I will soon begin the construction of our second studio, this forum is a precious tool. Here in Montreal, every commercial space has to have sprinklers. But nowhere can I find or see (in pictures of John's studios photos) any indication of fire protection of any kind. I am just curious about that. Thanks. :D
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Kali, you're right; most of our members are home/project oriented, and as such we don't give this very important subject enough attention. I for one have ZERO experience/information on how to incorporate a sprinkler system in a sound proof area without getting SERIOUS flanking noise through the piping - I can only surmise that someone makes an isolation system consisting of some kind of flex couplings to decouple the sprinkler pipes from the rest of the building's plumbing.

Short of either an automatic Halon system (mainly an industrial method, and not a good idea for human habitation) or strategically placed extinguishers and MINIMUM combustibles used in construction, I've no idea;

Maybe Rod can help out here, I know he's more experienced in code-related things... Steve
sharward

Exposed Piping?

Post by sharward »

Perhaps one way to minimize flanking would be to have the piping exposed; that way, only the main line coming in would share connection between inner and outer leaves, and perhaps with careful planning and execution those connections could be decoupled in some way. I know, it would look terrible, but when when form battles function, in this instance, I would think function would win.

And for the record, I have "less than zero" experience with this. ;)
Kali

thanks....

Post by Kali »

I understand the vocation of this forum and that most of the members are home-studio owners. And my quest is also the same for ventilation conducts wich are also required for commercial purpuses. Anyway , I probably will be back later this spring with more questions about bass trapping and acoustic related issues since I will be building the next studio myself. So thanks again and be proud of all the good help you are providing to us.

:D