Roxul AFB Questions?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

AlexT

Roxul AFB Questions?

Post by AlexT »

Just found a dealer in Sacremento, California.
3 1/2" thick Roxul AFB
It will be for insulating 2x4 walls, ceiling and floors.

1. Wanted to make sure it is the right model and thickness?

2. Can this matarial be used as Bass Traps and inside Slot Resonators?
Last edited by AlexT on Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
sharward

Re: Roxul AFB.. Is this the right type/model?

Post by sharward »

AlexT wrote:Just found a dealer in Sacremento, California.
Please share! I'm about to buy some myself.

I found some Roxul AFB for sale at Acoustical Material Services.

They quoted me 82¢ per square* foot for 6" thick x 16" wide Roxul AFB. They don't stock it, but they said they can order it and have it for me in a matter of days.

FYI, AMS has a location in San Leandro -- supposedly they ship between locations all the time, and they deliver too.

*Corrected: was "linear"
Last edited by sharward on Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlexT

Post by AlexT »

Thanks Sharward,
The Place I found in Sacramento is called RSA Supply.
Tel: 800 221 3359 or (916) 388 2631 (Perry is the person I talked to)
Didn't ask about the pricing of other thicknesses but the 3 1/2” is $398.08 per 1000 sq foot.
What do you think is that a good price?

Roxul seems cheaper then OC 703 and was wondering if it would be a good alternative for building bass traps and slot resonators as well?
Last edited by AlexT on Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
sharward

Post by sharward »

AlexT wrote:. . . the 3 1/2” is $398.08 per 1000 sq foot. What do you think is that a good price?
According to my abbacus, that comes out to about 40¢ per square foot. The quote I received was a little more than twice as thick for just barely more than twice the price. They seem competitive, but it might be worth calling AMS to see what they can do. I'm dealing with Mike Kuzak at 916/368-2671.

(FYI, I mistakenly referred to my quote as per linear foot, rather than per square foot. I have corrected my previous post.)
Roxul seems cheaper then OC 703 and was wondering if it would be a good alternative for building bass traps and slot resonators as well?
I think so, but I'll wait for the professors' word here. ;)

Thanks very much for sharing your source and info with me and everyone else here. :)
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

"Roxul seems cheaper then OC 703 and was wondering if it would be a good alternative for building bass traps and slot resonators as well?" -

No, you MUST spend 5 times the effort and at least twice the cost to get virtually identical results with OC 703, or you won't enjoy it nearly as much...

OK, that was mean :oops: Most, if not all, the Roxul AFB I'm familiar with is 2.5 PCF density, where the OC 703 is 3 PCF: acoustically, whether in or outside of a wall the two are essentially interchangeable. So unless you just wanna be a masochist, and have extra $$ to burn, go with the Roxul.

BTW, if both of you haven't yet posted those sources in the Building materials section, please do so; Thanks... Steve
sharward

Posted in Building Materials

Post by sharward »