Same Old Question

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

RBH

Same Old Question

Post by RBH »

You know - what do I build my wall out of.

Not a full-on studio but a room for playing bassy music.

From everything I understand, I think my question is: For the walls which are external or common to the neighbour's house, how much layered standard sheetrock would give me the same low frequency benefit as MLV? I think from what I've read that you'd definitely not be recommending Quietrock?

I don't want to bore you with all of the constraints I'm under. I know that I've got windows to worry about (which I'll plug when I'm playing), a pretty crap ceiling, and a front door which really needs replacing. I don't mind leakage within the house, as much as to the outside and I'm trying to understand what it's worth doing for those bits that I can address at this time. I could do RC, but I wouldn't be doing it myself and I'm not confident that it would be done with necessary integrity.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Cheers.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

You should start here -

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3231

Everything in the first post is there for a reason; following the guidelines will help you get the best info you can... Steve