Two new problems in rehearsal rooms....

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

hugo_inside

Two new problems in rehearsal rooms....

Post by hugo_inside »

The first problem is the lighting...

What kind of ligthing must be in rehearsal rooms and the corridor... is very dificult to find lamps without reactancy. The only one is mercury vapor mixture lamps, (don't know the name in english).

the second problem is: how can I build a ventilation tube if I need a place where air comes in and another where airs will be extracted...And keep the sound in the room... So much time and material expended in isolation and there must be 2 places where air must run...
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

By "reactancy", do you mean electrical noise such as flourescents cause?

Air - you need two separate, long, absorbent-lined, ducts for each room, each one with at least two 90 degree bends, and both encased in enough mass to isolate all but their openings from the air space inside the rehearsal room.

Maybe you can ADAPT the ideas from this thread -

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=644

HTH... Steve
hugo_inside

Post by hugo_inside »

"Reactance" instead of "Reactancy" :oops: ...
"Reactance is the property of resisting or impeding the flow of ac current or ac voltage in inductors and capacitors."

The noise that fluorescent cause is caused by reactance, don't it? :?:

with regard to air, does not the duct where air come into the rehearsal must be on the low part of the wall?? Is not necessary that one duct must be on the hight part of the wall and the other on the bottom?
[/i]
Sword9

Post by Sword9 »

I think there are several noises caused by fluorescent lighting. The ballast is the part of the light that converts the incoming line power to the right voltage, amperage, and frequency.

the most common way that they make noise is actual audio produced by the ballast and the fixture it's mounted in vibrating. Pretty much if your fixture is making an audible noise, something is loose and needs to be tightened, or it could just be a poorly made fixture.

The magnetic flux field surrounding the transformer is what tends to generate the EMI and RFI type interference that can be transferred to cables and devices that are close by.

Sometimes you can avoid these problems by locating the light's electronics away from the light and fixture.

Also, reactance is the resistance or impeding of the flow of AC current or voltage in inductors and capacitors. Basically, in simple terms, it's frequency dependent resistance in an AC circuit.
SaM Harrison
Location Engineers
Nashville, TN
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Thanks, Sam;

Hugo - "with regard to air, does not the duct where air come into the rehearsal must be on the low part of the wall?? Is not necessary that one duct must be on the hight part of the wall and the other on the bottom?" -

Yes, this is preferable; since warm air rises, you would get some natural converction by placing the inlet low and the outlet high; this would also make the fan not have to work as hard (you WILL still need a QUIET fan)... Steve
hugo_inside

Post by hugo_inside »

Thanks for answering,

but in my rehearsal room there is no posibility of inlet on the bottom of the wall...

I don't understand quite well what's the solution of lighting...

Sometimes you can avoid these problems by locating the light's electronics away from the light and fixture.

what is light electronics?? the "light" is the "bulb"? could you post a pic of the three elements?? sorry for my english...
Sword9

Post by Sword9 »

Bulb Image

Ballast Image

Fixture parts (where the bulb sits and mounts) Image

The ballast is the part that's going to be thought of as the "electronics". Overall though, I still don't think Fluorescents are a very good thing to use.
SaM Harrison
Location Engineers
Nashville, TN
hugo_inside

Post by hugo_inside »

Sword.- I still don't think Fluorescents are a very good thing to use.

So, any kind of lamp should make less noise or no noise than a fluorescent...

and this ones are considered fluorescents??

what about recessed lights??

Image[/img]
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

The second pic is flourescent, but with all of the components in one package which just screws into a standard light socket; still can be noisy electrically and acoustically.

Recessed lighting raises the questions of heat dissipation AND acoustic isolation; you've just broken your inner "leaf"... Steve
hugo_inside

Post by hugo_inside »

so, could you post a pic of what kind of light I need?

This one??

Ballgame

Post by Ballgame »

I love the lighting on the walls here.

knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Hugo, yes that can work; also, the pic below from Ballgame - those side lights are called Sconces, they are surface mount (good) and give pretty diffuse lighting (usually good)... Steve
hugo_inside

Post by hugo_inside »

ok :D , now I understand what kind of lamps and bulbs I need :D:D

thanks!!
Ballgame

Post by Ballgame »

knightfly wrote: also, the pic below from Ballgame - those side lights are called Sconces, they are surface mount (good) and give pretty diffuse lighting (usually good)... Steve
great thanks
I cant seem to find one I like. Do you think the one blue bear uses can turn and rotate? Looks(sounds) like I should avoid fluorescents