Possible fiberglass in Seattle, have Questions

Find out where to get building materials in your local area. If you find a good outlet post it and others will be able to access it through the search engine.

Moderators: Aaronw, John Sayers

Mark Blasco

Possible fiberglass in Seattle, have Questions

Post by Mark Blasco »

I sent an E-mail to SPI about getting 703 in Seattle, and here was the reply that I got:

Good morning Mark,

My name is Bret Van Zee and I work for Paragon Pacific, a division of SPI. I received an e-mail yesterday from you on Owens Corning 703 board. We are not an OC distributor, but do have an equivalent. We carry a Certainteed and Knauf board that is also a 3 lb. unfaced fiberglass product 2" x 24" x 48". This material is stocked in Kent WA. and is priced at $1.69 per sf. If this product will work for you, please call our Kent location @ 253-872-0800 and talk to one of inside sales reps.to enter your order. Thank you for your inquiry.

Bret

Is the Knauf or Certainteed board the same thing, or should I be asking for something else? Also, is $1.69 a square foot a resonable price?

Has anyone else in seattle found something better?

Is there anyone in Seattle who is looking to purchase some of this stuff and has a truck? I don't, but would definately be willing to pay someone a fee if they could help me get this stuff to my house. Just let me know at signup (at) markblasco (dot) com. Thanks
bpape

Post by bpape »

Those 2 manufacturers do in fact make a basically equivalent product to 703. As for the price, 703 can be had for MUCH less than $1.69/sf. I've seen it as low as $0.75/sf.
Mark Blasco

Post by Mark Blasco »

If anyone knows a better place to get the stuff in Seattle or nearby please let me know, especially if it can be found cheaper than $1.69. This whole construction and building thing is new to me, so any help is appreciated.
AVare
Confused, but not senile yet

Post by AVare »

bpape wrote:Those 2 manufacturers do in fact make a basically equivalent product to 703. As for the price, 703 can be had for MUCH less than $1.69/sf. I've seen it as low as $0.75/sf.
Prices of construction products vary wildly from region to region and by the phase of the moon.

Phasing again;
Andre
bpape

Post by bpape »

:D

Yes. They certainly seem to. While I certainly understand the desire to purchase locally, with that kind of pricing, one could probably do better ordering online and paying the ridiculous shipping charges and still come out OK.

I mean seriously, at $1.69/sf, that's $13.52 for a 2x4 board. If you ship 12 of them any reasonable distance, you can do it by UPS for FedEx for around $30 (about $0.31 per sf). $0.75 + $0.31 = $1.06/sf or a savings on 12 2x4 pcs of almost $60. Even if you're paying $1/sf plus shipping, you're still saving almost $30.
I am serious..... and don't call me Shirley

www.gikacoustics.com
Smurdy

Post by Smurdy »

R-factor in Woodinville carries 703.

http://www.service-partners.com
425-488-7600

We ended up buying Roxul from them. Very nice, helpful people there.

Good luck! and if you find anybody up here who carries laminated glass let me know!

Thanks,
Tom Smurdon
www.NoDrums.com
Tom Smurdon