Project studio in residence verses in outbuilding

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

dennisfootpole

Project studio in residence verses in outbuilding

Post by dennisfootpole »

I'm trying to get a construction loan to build a house on an acreage. One of my goals is to have a rehearsal/recording space for my melodic punk band. My dilemma is whether to build the studio within the house or in a detached garage. My perceived benefits of in-house: studio could be restored to living room later (resale value), air conditioning and heating would be easy to connect, very convenient access/security, could use construction loan to subsidize studio costs. Benefits of outbuilding: easier to control noise to family and neighbors, less expensive cost per square foot (might build steel shed over recording areas, to make easy cheap roof).

My questions: In a low budget but well advised sound "proofing" scenario, what type of results should I expect? (i.e. is an outbuilding going to be WAY quieter than the in-house?). Keep in mind my strategy is only limited by budget--for example, if you tell me to make cement walls in the outbuilding I probably could.

Any and all opinions and advice about this would be appreciated.
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

I suspect the outbuilding would be cheaper to build a basic shell - thus allowing more budget for the studio construction and acoustics. It would also be easier to soundproof from the house and neighbours.

cheers
john
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Dennis, free-standing is the next move for me after trying to use a spare bedroom and another area inside a barn for several years. Living in LA, you should take a look at these guys - that's the way I'm headed. They offer STC 48 walls with no additional soundproofing techniques, Class 4 earthquake rating, costs comparable to 2x6 stud construction, at least 25% less air infiltration and 33% lower heating/cooling costs, and wall heights to over 14 feet with the 8" walls - Check it out -

http://www.polysteel.com/

Basically, you put up their forms like Lego blocks, have a concrete pumper truck fill them, then attach whatever you want to the inside and outside using integral steel screw-strips on 1 foot centers.

You need to find a builder that's done this before, or you can get blow-outs if they try to go too fast.

I'm looking at adding 2 layers of drywall direct to the wall, then stud frame filled with fiberglas and 2 more layers of sheet rock on that - makes for 2 mass layers/one air space, which is much more efficient than multiple leaf walls... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
dennisfootpole

Post by dennisfootpole »

Thanks for the tip Steve--that seems like a great plan. Do you happen to know builders in the LA area familiar with this system that you could recommend?
dennis
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Sorry Dennis, I don't - I'm still researching which of the over 50 manufacturers of ICF I'll end up going with. Here's a link to several of them, the only two I've actually "kicked the tires" on are PolySteel and Logix - of the two, the Logix is looking better because of the consistent thickness of concrete.

I'm also trying to figure out the best auxiliary inner wall scheme for best MTC rating, so I don't have much info on that aspect yet either. I guess the best I can offer on this at present is "stay tuned"... Steve
Soooo, when a Musician dies, do they hear the white noise at the end of the tunnel??!? Hmmmm...
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Sorry Dennis, I don't - I'm still researching which of the over 50 manufacturers of ICF I'll end up going with. Here's a link to several of them, the only two I've actually "kicked the tires" on are PolySteel and Logix - of the two, the Logix is looking better because of the consistent thickness of concrete.

I'm also trying to figure out the best auxiliary inner wall scheme for best MTC rating, so I don't have much info on that aspect yet either. I guess the best I can offer on this at present is "stay tuned"... Steve