Guess...

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

scottfisher

Guess...

Post by scottfisher »

Typical n00b. I want an area to record some demos, just acoustic guitar, micing some amps, mostly vocals. Nothing special.

I have a (roughly) 8ft x 8ft area to have for recording. My computer/editing area is outside of that room, I'll just have the cables run to my mixer. The other room is about 12' away from that room. I can have the cables run along the floor or ceiling.

So the equipment/area is good for me, dont need windows, or a "control room". Im in the basement, and want to have that 8 ft x 8 ft room soundproofed for as little as I possibly can.

Here are three pictures of the room. Right now, there are no walls seperating it from another room beside it, and no door, but that is a given. It is also right near the furnace.

http://scott.revohosting.com/Studio
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Scott, am I correct from looking at the high window that this is a partial basement?

Any idea what your various existing walls are made of?

Also, are you more concerned with outside noise getting in, or vice versa? (I know it works both ways, just trying to get a feel for how MUCH isolation you may need)

I'm also assuming you want the room to SOUND good, if so some space will be taken up with acoustic treatments... Steve
scottfisher

Post by scottfisher »

I think the walls are just made out of drywall; no insulation. The things that are usually metal are wood.

I just want the best area for recording vocals and acoustic guitar. This would mean no sound going out or in baiscally, I think.

And yes, this is a partial basement.

I want to invest as little money as I can.
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Have you read through the REFERENCE section to get an idea of the concepts involved in sound proofing? it's at the top of the page, you should read through at least the top two or three topics so you understand what is necessary to soundproof an area -

And this, at the VERY top of the page - I thought the title would suck in EVERYBODY, guess not -

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3231

After you've done that, we can discuss your actual budget, why you still didn't include a location in your profile, and what can be done for the money you don't want to spend :wink: ... Steve
scottfisher

Post by scottfisher »

I read most stuff, and added my location. Im in Canada, and now I'm wondering how much money it would cost to make that small area have pretty good sound.

Not looking for grade A, just a pretty good sound. :?
AVare
Confused, but not senile yet

Post by AVare »

scottfisher wrote:I read most stuff, and added my location. Im in Canada, and now I'm wondering how much money it would cost to make that small area have pretty good sound.

Not looking for grade A, just a pretty good sound. :?
Give details on what "sound pretty good" means to you and call local building supply dealers for prices on materials. Gypsum, 2x4's, insulation all vary wildly even within Ontario, so I can't even help you ther! How important are esthetics, you can save money by not buy8ng nnonacostic matrials, but it will look worse.

Andre
scottfisher

Post by scottfisher »

Dont care about looks. I just want a space to record acoustic guitar and vocals. Since I will be using a condenser, I dont want it to sound like crap.

Out of 10 being the highest recording studio's atmosphere, I would want a 4-5. Its just to record demos, and some of my favourite demos had the vocalist in a closet on an 8 track recorder. :)
AVare
Confused, but not senile yet

Post by AVare »

scottfisher wrote:Dont care about looks. I just want a space to record acoustic guitar and vocals. Since I will be using a condenser, I dont want it to sound like crap.

Out of 10 being the highest recording studio's atmosphere, I would want a 4-5. Its just to record demos, and some of my favourite demos had the vocalist in a closet on an 8 track recorder. :)
Can't take a hint?! Without location we can not help you much on prices!

Did you read the suggested areas in the forum? Then you figure on blocking your outside window, closing up the openings, doubling he mass of the ceiling and inside walls if not against concrete.

Witht he size room you have, you are prety well looking at absorption only. The best gang for the buck in my (and Z60611's) part of Ontario is Roxul Safe n Sound. If needing thicker, just double it.

With out more detail from you, that is about all you can get that is honest.

Andre