exterior window sound transmission -- "sound sink"

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Huna

exterior window sound transmission -- "sound sink"

Post by Huna »

Background: I am building an 11 x 15 recording room in my "look-out" basement. Two of the four walls are exterior walls. Because of the look-out, the exterior walls are half poured concrete and half regular exterior wall. (Guess which half -- ha ha.) The interior walls are doubled. All walls are the ceiling will have resilient channels and two layers of 5/8" sheetrock, plus a layer of mineral wool insulation. My main concern is keeping my loud drumming and guitars from disturbing the whole house.

Anyway, one of the exterior walls has a 6 x 3 (approx.) double-paned window, high-quality as far as residential windows go -- it's supposed to be super in our cold winters. This is out the back of the house, where it is 150 feet to the edge of a city park - no traffic, etc. Therefore, I'm not too concerned about noise coming in.

Now here's my (crazy?) thought:
I assume this window and the room's door will be the weak links (I posted another thread on my door) -- with the window being the weakest. Therefore, assuming this window will let lots of sound out, will it act as a sort of "sound sink" and reduce the demands on the wall/ceiling/door? If so, it would affect how thorough I decide to be in the rest of the room.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
AVare
Confused, but not senile yet

Post by AVare »

Therefore, assuming this window will let lots of sound out, will it act as a sort of "sound sink" and reduce the demands on the wall/ceiling/door?
NO. It is only "lots of sound" compared to quiet outdoors.

It is a chain sort of thing. the window may be the weakest link, but the othere links are not reduced in their need to work.

Andre