Possible new material idea

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Aaronw

Possible new material idea

Post by Aaronw »

I was at home depot this weekend, and found this stuff accidently. It would probably work great as a deadening material in walls.

It's actually shower drain/pan liner. It's 40 mil pvc. Comes in a roll 5 feet wide by 40 feet long. It's cost is $179.00 a roll or $5.50 a linear foot.

It's some pretty dense stuff.

Just a thought...
ktb1025

Post by ktb1025 »

Tht's cheaper than the mass loaded vinyl barrier I just got quoted on by Acoustical Surfaces Inc. http://www.asiproaudio.com. I've read before that Tri-Ply was good for using on floors. Would you think the same applies to walls?
Kevin Burns
TheTalentFarm.com
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

I fondled that stuff and considered the price; it would take 3 layers to equal Sheet Blok, which puts it in the same price range but with more hassle (mounting 3 layers instead of one) -

Tri-Ply will accomplish the same damping within normal room temperature ranges, but IIRC it's not fireproof??!?

If you do a proper fill of insulation, the extra damping shouldn't be necessary - but extra mass never hurts, although gypsum is probably the cheapest and best source of mass you'll find in most countries. The exception to this would be damp locations... Steve