SoundProof Or Sound Booth?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

nrob324

SoundProof Or Sound Booth?

Post by nrob324 »

Im building a studio in a room about 10 x 14 ft but the problem is im living in a town house and the walls are thin and im worried about the neighbours complaining from the noise so what do i do?

I was thinking, i know expensive way but to buy a sound booth 8x12 from studiopares for around £7000 including fitting and im hoping to improve the sound proofing and also when i leave i can take it apart then rebuild in my new house.

Anyone used a sound booth or got 1, what they like and how much sound leakage is there likely to be?

Enough to stop the neighbours complaining?

will this be the answer to my problem?

or should i just sound proof the room?

Thxs
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

First, welcome to the board - Would you please update your profile to include a location? I can only assume from the reference to Stirling money that it's UK somewhere, but it's difficult to make ANY recommendations without knowing what's available generally, etc -

If you're in a townhouse, you need to know what your floor is built like before adding any extra weight; and soundproofing materials are MASS, so there's quite a bit of weight to consider. Can you be more specific about your construction? Steve
nrob324

Post by nrob324 »

hi thxs for the welcome
yes i am in the uk the room im on about is on the first floor and has two load berring walls underneath so i hope this is enough 4 the weight

i was looking at a few options vocalbooth whisperroom and importing from the us or by buying one in the uk

any suggestions

thxs
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

"has two load berring walls underneath so i hope this is enough 4 the weight " - this is really close to the statement, "I'm going to jump out of an airplane and HOPE I can borrow a parachute on the way down"...

N, I'm not being snotty - just trying to keep people from being hurt. Very few buildings these days that are designed for personal occupancy have EXTRA strength built into their construction beyond what's MANDATORY by code - so it doesn't take a lot of extra weight before you're asking to become part of the GROUND floor.

Probably the best way to sort this out for sure, is to ask the super of your building how to get in touch with whatever engineer designed your building, so you can get a copy of the floor loading specification - normally in pounds per square foot live and dead load (or metric equivalent) - then, find out from studiospares and/or whisperroom what their units weigh (whisperroom offer a version with casters; NOT a good idea for anything but a concrete slab on the GROUND floor) -

Once you know the weight, and the square footage, you can calculate how much EXTRA loading the unit would cause, and see if that exceeds the design rating of your building.

The "better" version of the whisperrooms works fairly well, at least for a portable solution; (This does NOT mean drums and marshall's at 2 AM) I've heard less than rave reviews on the "standard" versions, and have no info whatever on the other brands... Steve