Problem: infloor heating

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

the dreamer

Problem: infloor heating

Post by the dreamer »

hi,
1.) in my future studio space i got infloor heating in the concrete floor. so the problem is, that i cant just drill into the floor and screw the the wallstuds into it. can i glue this with construction glue? what other options are there?

2.) i can't find something like RC in my area. (middle europe) did i get it right, that when i use steelstuds it is pretty much like woodstuds with RC????

3.) because of the infloor heating i can't make a floating floor. the heat would be kept out of the room. CR, liveroom and vocalbooth share the same concrete floor. would the soundtransmission between the rooms be a serious problem then?

help is really appreciated!
thanks
dreamer
the dreamer

Post by the dreamer »

bump :-)
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Hi, sorry about the delay - my schedule's insane on a good week...

1.) in my future studio space i got infloor heating in the concrete floor. so the problem is, that i cant just drill into the floor and screw the the wallstuds into it. can i glue this with construction glue? what other options are there?

Construction glue is about the only way, I'm assuming you're talking about inner added walls -

2.) i can't find something like RC in my area. (middle europe) did i get it right, that when i use steelstuds it is pretty much like woodstuds with RC????

This depends on the gauge of the steel studs - the lighter, 25 gauge, NON structural ones (no load-bearing walls) get the same results as an equivalent air gap wall using RC. The heavier, 20 gauge, STRUCTURAL studs don't do any better than wood framing and still need resilient mounting. Double (separate) frames with wallboard layers only on ONE side of EACH frame, eliminates the need for resilient mounts - however, the inner wall can't have hard contact with ceiling (or floor in extreme cases) or this won't work.

3.) because of the infloor heating i can't make a floating floor. the heat would be kept out of the room. CR, liveroom and vocalbooth share the same concrete floor. would the soundtransmission between the rooms be a serious problem then?

You will get flanking through the floor, but it shouldn't be serious except for drums/bass - if you're looking for TOTAL isolation, though, this room simply won't work because you WOULD need a fully floated, high-mass floor with the inner walls resting on that floated floor... Steve
the dreamer

Post by the dreamer »

Hi, sorry about the delay - my schedule's insane on a good week...
the very least we knowledge-seekers can provide you "time-donators" with, is our patience.

thanks a lot.

one more:
do you see any advantage in a staggered studs construction if i put in only one door then?

second:
do you think it will help (regarding the floating floor) if i put in stripes of neoprene, put 2 layers of 1,5cm wallboard (glued together) and finally a laminate floor? or do you think it would be strong enough to also hold inner walls on it if i use osb or similar instead of the wallboard?
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

If you're only using a single door, unless you spend about $5000 on the door you'd be lucky to get the isolation a standard 2x4 stud wall can get, even with good seals. I would do either both or don't bother.

With your in-slab heating, you can't get away with doing a floated floor at all; this would really be opening up a can of worms regarding overloading of your heating system, moisture damage, etc - the most you should ever put on that floor might be a cushioned vinyl or something that won't insulate things any noticeable amount... Steve