How to attach RC to studs?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

gdgross

How to attach RC to studs?

Post by gdgross »

Should I have a screw at every stud? Screw every other stud? What's the standard method for attaching RC to the studs?

This is the infamous "dual leg" RC as described in the other thread. I realized that I cannot use normal RC anyway, as I am hanging two layers of drywall and a layer of MDF, and from what I've read, regular RC is rated only for two layers of sheetrock.

Thanks!
Geoff
AVare
Confused, but not senile yet

Post by AVare »

There is a lot that can go wrong with RC. Read this and D/L the manual and read at least the referenced sections.

USG Construction Manual thread

Why are you doing all that mass and using RC? RC reduces LF isolation which is the most significant for music isolation.

Helpfully confused;
Andre
z60611

Post by z60611 »

gdgross:

I'd screw to every stud, to prevent rattles.

As far as the weight goes, just use proportionally more RC and it'll take the weight. As for what effect on sound isolation that would do, I have no idea.
gdgross

Post by gdgross »

Hmm. I was under the impression that RC would not affect the LF isolation, but it would improve midrange and above isolation.

I do NOT have real room within a room type construction, and I don't have space to add interior walls, although it would be ideal for sould isolation. The RC is an attempt to get two separate mass centers and air in between.

I had originally planned only two layers of drywall, but I want to be able to screw stuff to the walls, and I don't trust drywall and those little plastic screw inserts to hold my guitars up above the floor. So I decided to add a layer of MDF to the wall.

Thanks!
Geoff
Sen

Post by Sen »

Hi Geoff,
Just screw it into every stud.Someone mentioned that you could use the dual leg RC as one leg RC by just screwing one leg to the studs.Don't know if you wanna try that.By all means put the RC @ narrower centers as z606 sugested to hold the three layers.
cheers
Kind regards
Sen
AVare
Confused, but not senile yet

Post by AVare »

gdgross wrote:Hmm. I was under the impression that RC would not affect the LF isolation, but it would improve midrange and above isolation
Lookat fig 19 in IRC-818. Judge for yourself which is more important. What carries through the most? Highs or lows?

Andre