rear wall absorber

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

miks

rear wall absorber

Post by miks »

hi i was looking up the wall unit section at john sayers website and i was wondering if the rear wall of the control room could have those wooden slats over it instead of just the material?

Would this make a difference in absorbing the sound or what frequencies it absorbs? i want slats so i can hang things off my rear wall.

thanks guys.
" the amps are like, living in clip"
dymaxian

Post by dymaxian »

Those slats would make a big difference. Depending on the width of the slats, it'd reflect mid and high frequencies right back to your head. Unless you have 18 feet or so between the back of your head and the back of your room, this may turn out to be a bad thing- early reflections off that wall will interfere with direct sound coming out of the speakers, and you'll hear a comb-filtering effect.

If you'd like to hang things off the rear wall, like posters or small pictures or magazine centerfolds or whatever, you could hang them off the top, bottom and sides of the absorber- the wood frame will be easy for that. If you got long enough thumb-tacks, you could probably pin things right to the fabric and fiberglass.

But putting wood slats on the rear-wall absorber will make it work against you more than it works for you.
Kase
www.minemusic.net

"to hell with the CD sales! Download the MP3s and come to the shows!"
Paul Woodlock

Post by Paul Woodlock »

Greetings :)

dymaxian speaks a lot of sense :)

I would like to add further, that anydamge done by the slats depends on the their angle/

For example, fixing angled slats to the absorbers could a] avoid them firing the reflectionsto your head, and b] help disperse the higher mids and highs to keep the room a bit brighter, while the low mids and lows go straight through and be absorbed.

In fact putting diffusion ( as long as it's only diffusion for upper frequencies ) over the top of Bass traps can be benficial in small rooms where you need a LOT of standing wave ( room mode ) trapping, but dont want an incredibly dull sounding room. I've seen this work to great effect.

hth :)

Paul