ceiling treatment

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

mshack

ceiling treatment

Post by mshack »

I'm in a commercial building with 15ft ceilings and a 9ft drop ceiling(with the typical ceiling tiles). I had wanted to know the effectiveness and cost of hangers (hard to install because of the height) or laying 12inches of unfaced insulation or 703fiberglass or the vinyl soundblock type material or maybe even a combination.

My primary purpose is sound isolation which will be limited due to an open ceiling, but also how would the above effect the room's acoustics.

John, you already mentioned in my other post on the deisgn forum that you recommend hangers, but I thought I would move my questions over to here.

Thanks for the help
John Sayers
Site Admin

Post by John Sayers »

well this would only be treatment for the existing room - it won't stop sound getting out. The only way to stop that would be to seal off the whole ceing as we've said before. But you can use the ceiling space for internal acoustic treatment and hangers is one option. The ceiling tiles as they are will be reflective to a certain degree (mainly low-mid frequencies) - I'd remove them and replace them with cloth frames which will allow the sound to get up into the ceiling space where it can be absorbed by hangers, panel traps etc.

cheers
john