Someone told me about using sand on floating the floor

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

hugo_inside

Someone told me about using sand on floating the floor

Post by hugo_inside »

What about this? This guy advice me for framing the floor and use wet sand and plastic over it and then a mix of concrete and "idon'tknow" and then the plies of wood.
dymaxian

Post by dymaxian »

If you're putting wet sand in your floor, you're going to need to go to an extreme to make sure that it's perfectly sealed from the wood. Any of that moisture starts getting out and your floor will become mold central.

This is going to be very difficult- to the point where I'd recommend you do NOT do it. Even using dry sand isn't good, because once moisture gets in there it takes forever to dry, especially in a dark, un-vented area.

The "floating floor" thread has all kinds of suggestions on what to put in there to dampen the floor.
Kase
www.minemusic.net

"to hell with the CD sales! Download the MP3s and come to the shows!"
dk01

Post by dk01 »

I have heard of filling between your floor joists with sand - dry sand... Dry sand would add all the density you would need if you went this route. Wet sand seems like complete overkill to me. My info comes courtesy of ASC. (for what its worth)

Best Regards,

David
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Dry sand is self-compacting (a GOOD thing) and doesn't cause moisture problems as long as it doesn't get wet - wet sand, however, will cause problems from moisture and again when/if it dries, and loses volume - it will then leave an air gap which is NOT a good thing in this type floor, at least in that location within the floor... Steve
AndrewMc

Post by AndrewMc »

Avoid using wet sand under your floor - this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

I used dry sand in my drum riser - taking a lot of care to make sure it was perfectly dry by spreading it out in the sun for a day and constantly raking it.

Dry sand is like sugar - if it has any moisture it will clump.
Andrew McMaster