Cable

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

Shaz

Cable

Post by Shaz »

Hello all,

I bought some Neutrik connectors to make wall plates from partsexpress.com. I was going to order 12 channel snake cable for wall plates but they were out of stock so I ended up ordering just the connectors and this audio cable:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl ... er=100-454

I am planning to use this cable for 5.1 speaker connections, but I was wondering if this would be sufficient for wall plates also? I will have two XLR and two 1/4 TRS connectors on each plate so, I can connect all that with four seperate runs of this cable. The XLR connectors will be used for connecting Mics and the TRS for guitars running through effects processor. I will be running these through metal conduits. I prefer seperate cables over snake. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!
serge instrumental

Post by serge instrumental »

If insulation is not a concern you can use "wall plates" but if your concern is about insulation, you'd be better to make a box and screw your plate on it so you would have just the hole for the wire in the wall instead of a large cutout in the gyproc.
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

I guess my first question is: Why are you using a 3 conductor + Shield wire?

2nd: I'm assuming you're using powered monitors for 5.1?
I will have two XLR and two 1/4 TRS connectors on each plate so
Are the XLR connectors for mic or connections for your monitors?

The 1/4" TRS, are these for plugging in your outboard processors, or plugging in your guitar. Remember...guitar is Unbalanced.
Shaz

Post by Shaz »

I will be using powered monitors for 5.1. The TRS connectors I will be using with this cable are for speakers, I was planning to use the three conductors to connect the three conductors on the back of the Neutrik TRS connectors that I bought, leaving the shield not connected. Is this the right way to connect speakers?

Now, between the ISO and control room, I need to run guitars (using TRS) and mics (using XLR). For this I made some wall plates with two XLR and two balanced TRS connectors. I will be running the guitars through outboard effects processor, not directly, so the balanced connectors should be what I need (right?). The question I have is can I use four runs of the cable (link in the original post), connect the three conductors to three XLR and three TRS pins on the connector leaving the shield not connected?

I will try to post pictures of the wall plates to clear up some confusion. As you can tell, I have no idea what I am doing, but there is always a first time for everything :D
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

I will be using powered monitors for 5.1. The TRS connectors I will be using with this cable are for speakers, I was planning to use the three conductors to connect the three conductors on the back of the Neutrik TRS connectors that I bought, leaving the shield not connected. Is this the right way to connect speakers?
Usually what you would use is a mic cable (2 conductor w/ shield). The shield helps to reject any RF, etc. and is also your ground.
Shaz

Post by Shaz »

This cable was listed for speakers, do you think it will be ok to use two conductors and the shield leaving one conductor not connected?

For Mics and Guitar, I guess I will order MIC cables? Can I use Mic cable for balanced TRS connections also, for running guitars through amps or effects processor?
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

For Mics and Guitar, I guess I will order MIC cables?
For mic's, yes. For guitar, you want instrument cable (preferrably).
Can I use Mic cable for balanced TRS connections also
Yes.
for running guitars through amps
This wire is unbalanced (T/S).
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

There is always more than one way to connect between gear; sometimes, there is even more than one RIGHT way :?

This is probably the best explanation/illustration of these ways on the net; you should bookmark this in a way you won't lose it, or at least print it out.

http://www.rane.com/note110.html

In particular, look at the section, "The Last Best Right Way To Do It", in about the middle of the document.

Depending on your gear, telescoping shields (leaving the shield un-connected at one end) may be necessary to minimise hum; you may want to build a couple of the TEST cables this doc shows, so you can use them temporarily for each interconnet to chase down hum problems... Steve
Shaz

Post by Shaz »

Thanks guys!!

Steve, the article was very helpful!