Introduction and Floating Floor Questions

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

DC

Introduction and Floating Floor Questions

Post by DC »

Hello all! :D

I've decided to finally buckle down and build myself soundproofed area in my basement for jamming and recording. I've been reading the posts here for the past week and am totaly blown away with the knowledge base that's here. Thanks to John and everyone else for the great resource.

Here's my story:

I'm working with an area of approximately 10" 11'' X 23' X 8'7"H. It's an old house with fieldstone walls. I've had a company called "Boston Basement Technologies" (I live north of Boston MA) come in and waterproof the basement by digging the interior perimiter of the whole basement, installing the water channel into the sink hole with the pump yada, yada. I also has the vapor lock material installed on the walls of the studio section (the 10"11"X23' dimention mentioned above.) So as far as water is concerned, I'm in good shape. Next I'll be putting up some insulation in the ceiling in the main ceiling/floor.

Here are the questions:

Vapor Lock: I intend to put plastic down in the floor to create another vapor lock. What kind and/or thickness is recommended? Can I get some of the thick stuff found in the paint section of Home Depot?

Floating floor: Instead of 2X4's can I use 1X4's instead? (Trying to save a little head room...) As for the rubber pucks. I couldn't find any rubber or neoprene thick enough. Any possible alternatives? What's the minimum thickness to maintain efficiency?

Floor insulation: Instead of Rockwool, there was some stuff that looked like styrofoam (it probably was) that has foil on each side. Can that be used?

(Is there a materials list somewhere?)

...and the one main thing I've learned so far is to always bring a note pad into Home Depot to write stuff down...

I will follow up with a layout soon...

Thanks again!
=8^{DC

"Enjoy Every Sandwich!"
-- Warren Zevon
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Hi, sorry it took so long - I'm already late for bed, but will try to get you something -

Foam - don't even slow down, all you'll find in HD is closed cell, no good for anything in a studio, period.

Basements in general - check out the basement PDF at the bottom of this page -

http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 1690#11690

Using 1x lumber laid flat for floating a floor - laying 2x lumber flat is pushing it, you need to keep the EPDM rubber pucks fairly far apart to get at least 20% compression, which is necessary for proper spring action. We normally try to keep 2x4's on edge for this, it narrows the contact surface between wood and rubber, so you get better compression without having to exceed the span capabilities of the frame. also, the deeper the air/insulation gap (do NOT leave out heavy insulation here, you'll get 'way too much boom) the lower the mass-air-mass resonance of the floor (heavy top leaf helps too) - ideally, you want the m-a-m resonance to be as low as you can get it, 10 hZ would be nice but that takes a floated concrete slab that's about 4" thick over a 4-5" damped air gap...

Closest thing to a material list so far is Aaron's floater thread, found in REFERENCE materials link at the top of the Construction forum.

I would do a LOT of reading about vapor barriers and basements before putting one down under your floated floor - if you trap the moisture, it will stay put and rot whatever it can, grow mold, etc - sometimes it's better to let it breathe so it can dry back out if it gets wet... Steve
DC

Post by DC »

Thanks for the response Steve!

I've contacted a contractor who's has experience building soundproofed studios. I gave him a copy of my room specs and drawing for him to come up with a design and materials, etc...

Let me see what he presents to me and I'll keep ya'll posted...

:D
=8^{DC

"Enjoy Every Sandwich!"
-- Warren Zevon
z60611

Post by z60611 »

DC
It's a good idea to post the 'professional's plans here for comment. I've seen a couple of 'professional soundproofer' designs posted in the past few months that have been less than optimal. It's better to build it once, than to have to rip it out and do it again.
DC

Post by DC »

Z,

Absolutely! Besides, it's been my experience that it's best to have another set of eyes to look at stuff anyway... You never know, we may have left something out...
=8^{DC

"Enjoy Every Sandwich!"
-- Warren Zevon
Paul Woodlock

Post by Paul Woodlock »

knightfly wrote:....

Using 1x lumber laid flat for floating a floor - laying 2x lumber flat is pushing it, you need to keep the EPDM rubber pucks fairly far apart to get at least 20% compression, which is necessary for proper spring action. We normally try to keep 2x4's on edge for this, it narrows the contact surface between wood and rubber, so you get better compression without having to exceed the span capabilities of the frame.
Greetings Steve :)

Have you ever calculated the MSM resonant frequency of a timber floated floor as you describe above?

from my experience incalcualting my floor and the loads upon it I cannot imagien a timber floated floor having a resonant frequency that's at all low enough to be effective.

With a 10Hz natural freqeuncy. 14Hz is no isoaltion, and it's only 2 ocatves above ( 40Hz ) where you start getting any workable isolation at all. Or even higher. I would make an educated but rough guess that because of the lack of mass, a wooden floated floor would have a natural frequency of between 30 and 50Hz. Which means amplification at those frequencies, no isoaltion 1.4 times those freqeuncies, and little isoation until you get much higher

also, the deeper the air/insulation gap (do NOT leave out heavy insulation here, you'll get 'way too much boom)
If you're getting ANY BOOM the natural freqeuncy is too high. We're geting into laying a huge drum skin on the floor here ;)

When I first layed my concrete floating floor, and without walls and ceiling, I could make it boom easily in the 30 to 80Hz area by jumping on it. It sounded awful. This is becuase it's natural freqeuncy at that time was around these freqeuncies. Now I've built most of the walls and ceiling it's natural freqeuncy has lowered to almost design spec, and now when I jump on it I can feel it vobrating but I can't hear it boom. I would guess it's current natural freqeuncy is about 15 to 20Hz. Once I've got all the ceilign and wall layers installed,and put the soffit wall and speaker system inplace ( again very heavy ), plus the furniture, and equipment the natural freqeuncy will end up where it's supposed to be. Around 9 to 10Hz.

the lower the mass-air-mass resonance of the floor (heavy top leaf helps too) - ideally, you want the m-a-m resonance to be as low as you can get it, 10 hZ would be nice but that takes a floated concrete slab that's about 4" thick over a 4-5" damped air gap...

You can get down to 10Hz with a 2" Airgap and 4" concrete slab easily. I did it :) Actually I used a 5" slab, but I calculated I could do it with a 4" slab

Laying a wooden drum skin on the floor may give more isolation at higher frequencies, but at the expense of AMPLIFICATION of the bass, and a resonant panel in the studio doing god knows what to the room acoustics.

Personally I wouldn't bother floating the floor. Unless you make the ceiling of your basement EXTREMLY Isolated, then even a properly done floating floor isn't gonna make much difference. Eric Desart always says the balance of the Isolation systems should match up, and he's right.

Just like my floating concrete floor wouldn't make much sense, if I was only using a couple of drywall layers on the walls and ceiling.
Floor insulation: Instead of Rockwool, there was some stuff that looked like styrofoam (it probably was) that has foil on each side. Can that be used?

NOT with a floating floor system. The styrofoam stuff you mention IS used for floor insulation, but is very stiff and can support very high loads. but it's no good for decoupling. Rockwool type insulation is used to fill the airgap inbetween the rubber blocks in floating floors.

Hope that helps :)

Paul
Paul Woodlock

Post by Paul Woodlock »

btw- here's a great site for the physics of floating floors and other decoupling systems.

http://www.earsc.com/HOME/engineering/T ... asp?SID=61

Paul
AVare
Confused, but not senile yet

Post by AVare »

Paul:

Excellent posts. I wish I could write and sepll as well as do.

Andre
Jester

Post by Jester »

In that article it says "For homogeneous elastomers with a durometer (hardness) of around 50-60 shore A, ideal loading is generally around 50 pounds per square inch (psi)" does this sound right? I have been trying to figure out how many psi it takes to compress 60 durometer puck 20% for a while now. Problem is I can't seem to find and formulas for converting durometer to psi. So does 50-60 psi sound about right?
DC

Post by DC »

...now I'm really confused... :oops: :?
=8^{DC

"Enjoy Every Sandwich!"
-- Warren Zevon
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Paul, I'd had those EAR papers on my laptop for months but hadn't got back to reading them til last nite - still need to go through them a few more times for it all to sink in.

My comments about the insulation were aimed at damping the floor, which would be absolutely mandatory if a m-a-m resonance couldn't be gotten low enough - even with compressed rockwool to damp the floor membrane, it would not be ideal. I tend to agree that not doing it at all would beat doing it wrong, I've heard the results of resonant floors and it's not pretty. I got about the same range of resonant frequency as you, figuring 2x4's on edge on top of 1/2" pucks, and two layers of 30mm flooring plywood - without weight of walls, etc, it was around 34 hZ, which isn't low enough for me.

Are you getting that low a resonance because of the extra weight of the entire room, or from using the Sylomer instead of EPDM or neoprene, or both? From your description, it doesn't sound like you have much of an air gap, so it must be a combo of the extra weight and the better damped Sylomer?

I had seen statements about compression of pads elsewhere, but apparently EAR think 5% is enough - I'm wondering if this is also because of their specific material, or if this is enough compression for EPDM as well -

DC, you're confused because this is a confusing subject - I'm nowhere near an expert on it, and I've been at this over 20 years - Paul has dug into it pretty deeply and has valuable insights here - although you can damp a wooden floor so the boom isn't objectionable, it's better if you can go the way Paul's going, using concrete for more mass - then, when that is damped the same way you REALLY have things under control... Steve
DC

Post by DC »

knightfly wrote:DC, you're confused because this is a confusing subject - I'm nowhere near an expert on it, and I've been at this over 20 years - Paul has dug into it pretty deeply and has valuable insights here - although you can damp a wooden floor so the boom isn't objectionable, it's better if you can go the way Paul's going, using concrete for more mass - then, when that is damped the same way you REALLY have things under control... Steve
Meaning putting pucks under the concrete? :?
=8^{DC

"Enjoy Every Sandwich!"
-- Warren Zevon
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Actually between - the floor Paul's doing has a concrete under-floor, then pucks and plywood, plastic moisture barrier and a second, floated slab above the main floor. The high mass of this second concrete slab is a lot of what gets the resonance below audibility... Steve
Paul Woodlock

Post by Paul Woodlock »

knightfly wrote:Paul, I'd had those EAR papers on my laptop for months but hadn't got back to reading them til last nite - still need to go through them a few more times for it all to sink in.

My comments about the insulation were aimed at damping the floor, which would be absolutely mandatory if a m-a-m resonance couldn't be gotten low enough - even with compressed rockwool to damp the floor membrane, it would not be ideal. I tend to agree that not doing it at all would beat doing it wrong, I've heard the results of resonant floors and it's not pretty. I got about the same range of resonant frequency as you, figuring 2x4's on edge on top of 1/2" pucks, and two layers of 30mm flooring plywood - without weight of walls, etc, it was around 34 hZ, which isn't low enough for me.

Are you getting that low a resonance because of the extra weight of the entire room, or from using the Sylomer instead of EPDM or neoprene, or both? From your description, it doesn't sound like you have much of an air gap, so it must be a combo of the extra weight and the better damped Sylomer?
Greetings Steve. I'm getting that low a reasonance becuase of the weight, and the 2" thick sylomer. Different grades of sylomer, or even different brands ( Neoprene, EPDM, etc ) have different moduli of elasticity, so you simply adjust the weight for the elastomer material you are using, and also of course the size AND shape of the Elastomer blocks

I had seen statements about compression of pads elsewhere, but apparently EAR think 5% is enough - I'm wondering if this is also because of their specific material, or if this is enough compression for EPDM as well -
I didn't do my calcs with block deflection, so I don't exactly know what deflection the sylomer blocks will have. Sylomer does have specs showing the amount of deflection v. weight v. modulus of Elasticity though.

I bascially made up a spreadsheet using the EAR formulas, so I could juggle each parameter. Each parameter being......

1] Grade of Sylomer
2] Weight imposed on each block - Concrete floor + walls/ceiling + other loads inside studio
3] Supporting area of sylomer block
4] Shape of sylomer block - Shape factor - see EAR papers
5] Sylomer block spacing - Too far apart and the plywood form will sag when concrete is poured. I found around a 500mm block spacing is fine to support 125mm of wet concrete.

Each grade of Sylomer has a recommended maximum static load. Dynamic Lods can increase above this temporarily without harm.

The other factor to remember is that the greater the load on the sylomer the SHORTER it's lifespan. And of course once you've built a WHOLE ROOM on top of it, you cannot easily replace the blocks of course :)

So LOTS of interacting parameters to consider.

Paul