It is my pleasure to announce the the John Sayers forum is back up and partially operational, it only goes up from here. So what happened?
To the best of my knowledge, many of the moderators, family, and close friends of John tried to keep this forum open after his passing, but due to circumstance beyond anyones control the domain expired and the hosting along with it. At that time, back in April all was thought lost. There were several posts on reddit and other forums about where this one had gone to and what happened.
Thanks to a well timed interaction with Glenn on the digistar.cl forum (Stuart's) who had somehow managed to get a DB backup before the site went down, and a little bit of elbow grease on my part, .... the forum is back! However there are a few things we should cover because it's not ALL the way back.
- All of the images, sketchup files, and assets that had ever been uploaded to the site are gone. Some images remain if they were self hosted but the others may not ever be recoverable. Im still in conversations with the old hosting provider trying to get back ups.
- I have disabled new membership for the time being, after this site gets its feet under it I will likely turn this back on.
- Existing members can post but not upload. Im doing this to preserve the wealth of information that was on this site that we all benefited from. In doing so I do not have an unlimited budget, so i want to see what the cost to run this is for a few months before we turn this back on. Storage is expensvie.
- There is no email server connected. Forgot password will not work. This is my next order of business.
- If John's family wants to take this over, it is theirs, but in the mean time, I am happy to keep it going and will need some help. So please reach out if you can help with any aspect of keeping this going.
- The theme is different because I had to upgrade the forum to a newer version in order to get it hosted. If you miss the old theme, Im sorry.
- Search is indexing and might not be available for a bit, but it is a priority.
- Note that many links were embedded in posts and will take you away from the site. I am working to scrub them and replace (johnlsayers.com with johnlsayersarchive.com) but it will take some time.
- Please be kind to one another. This is now, for the most part, a memorial to a great man who helped us all.
A special thanks to Glenn (gullfo) for entertaining my crazy while I got us this far.
All that said, I am planning my new studio and I have a few questions about room modes.....