East Sussex - Double Garage build

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

John Steel

Re: East Sussex - Double Garage build

Post by John Steel »

I must confess that the rate of progress slowed down quite a bit over the Autumn and Winter months. This was partly due to the fact that when it’s cold, damp, freezing or windy, it’s not that much fun to work in the garage. Also, I have found it difficult to source certain materials recently. I ordered a few cases of caulk in December (I am getting through a large amount of it) and it arrived in mid – February. The supplier told me this was because the manufacturer simply couldn’t import sufficient quantities of the raw materials needed to make it following Brexit. That said, I have actually achieved a fair amount for an old-timer. I continued fixing the first layer of OSB in the middle leaf decking until it was completed.
314C7CAC-E97D-478E-84CF-FB0A601EBC03 copy.jpeg
Now the only gaps in it are where the raised sections are (these will be completed after the inner and outer leaf silencers are in position) and an opening for a triple sealed hatch door which will mirror one on the inner leaf. I built the two frames which are going to support the outer leaf silencers and form part of the enclosure for the inner leaf silencers at opposite ends of the room, incorporating the joists I raised last year.
I made sure that the OSB sheets met over the existing ceiling chords and / or were overlapped with a plank of the same material after being caulked.
7B87EEA6-7D4D-4737-B941-B2F21376905D copy.jpeg
I think I should mention that the task of caulking has been made considerably easier since I bought a battery powered caulking gun. I started off using the hand operated type and quickly realised that it would result in severe repetitive strain injury given the amount of sealing I had to do. When researching studio building, you often read maxims like, “if in doubt – caulk it!” and variations thereof. It’s true and before you start building, you can’t imagine how much time and effort you will spend doing this simple task. I’d go as far as saying that the caulking gun is probably the most labour saving tool I have.
212F28FB-6590-4051-868C-6B39C3043F18_1_201_a copy.jpeg
Then I began fitting panels of 12mm cement fibre board on the underside of the decking, in between the joists. This combination of cement board and OSB is actually the opposite way round to the cladding on the walls where the cement board was attached first, with battens, between the rafters and OSB (with green glue) attached directly to the rafters. This is because OSB forms a better weight bearing platform (it’s far less brittle) and also cement board is pretty unpleasant to work with; the less I have to cut up, the better. I used the usual, liberal amounts of green glue on the cut panels which, according to the manufacturer’s instructions, should be applied in a ‘random pattern’. In the interests of personal amusement, I based many of these random patterns on short phrases . . .
BFD77D1D-0BD6-4DCE-90B0-0F456918C05F_1_201_a copy.jpeg
Rhetorical questions . . .
IMG_1254 copy.jpeg
. . . and inspirational quotes in the style of elusive studio designers!
IMG_1315 copy.jpeg
When the panels were properly glued (I actually applied the green glue more like this) . . .
C8CAAD10-9E4E-4B8E-8A6E-289CC1C73E1B_1_201_a copy.jpeg
. . . I lifted them up into position and locked them in place using two panel supports. These can be operated one-handed, so I could easily support the boards with my other hand while adjusting them.
IMG_1272 copy.jpeg
I added a stripe of caulk along each edge and using another support, fixed pre – cut lengths of batten into the joists to hold the cement boards in place.
IMG_1275 copy.jpeg
IMG_1282 copy.jpeg
IMG_1351 copy.jpeg
Now this layer of cement board is in place, it’s almost time (after yet more caulking) to start on the inner leaf structure. Covid 19 allowing, this will involve getting outside help as I don’t have the joinery skills to build and fit sealed windows and doors. Still, it’s starting to feel like I can at least see the destination that I’m heading towards. Thanks for reading – best wishes, John.

There’s lots more about my studio build at http://www.johnsteel.org
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

nice work!

yes, caulk is your friend. you will learn to hate caulk, but caulk is still, and will always be, your friend. 8)

i like the Jackson Pollack over the writing... who knows? in a hundred years from now, they'll discover your writings & paintings and you'll be famous. :mrgreen:
Glenn
John Steel

Post by John Steel »

Thanks for your encouragement Glenn, it's much appreciated! I know it's not healthy but I dream about caulking! :cry:
xSpace

Post by xSpace »

Nobody can say you havent done your best.

How long has this project been in process?
(I wrote that in green glue just for you).
John Steel

Post by John Steel »

Thanks for your comments Brien.
How long has this project been in process?

I began planning four years ago & started building just over a year ago but it feels more like a lifetime.
(I wrote that in green glue just for you).

Just my little joke (evidently). I took my inspiration from a former member of this parish (apparently he has marvelous eyesight). I have enormous respect for all the admins and moderators of this forum.

Best wishes, John.
Dave2041

Post by Dave2041 »

Any update on this?