Sealing Inside out walls. To be sure.

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

sei046

Sealing Inside out walls. To be sure.

Post by sei046 »

Hey Guys,
Can I just confirm the points I need to be careful to seal on my inside out walls? I was hoping to do the sealing when they are all up and built, as I would imagine I would have access to everywhere?

Am I right in saying I need to do where the plasterboard meets the stud at all the red lines? And also seal where the two studs meet at 90 degrees ( apply generous caulk before mechanically connecting them).

Obviously, when the plasterboard ceiling goes in, I will need to caulk that also.
Also the join between concrete floor and the bottom plate.

I am also caulking the seam between the two vertical sheets before I add the two horizontal sheets on each panel.

So just in terms of four walls up with no roof, is it just those areas or do I need to caulk them while they are on the floor for some reason?

gullfo

Re: Sealing Inside out walls. To be sure.

Post by gullfo »

since you're building them as panels, i'd suggest getting as much caulking done while they're flat, same if you're adding green glue between layers etc. then you only have to caulk on the connections between panels and the floor.
Glenn
sei046

Post by sei046 »

Cheers glenn. I actually didn’t seal them while on the floor as I figured I might damage the seal in moving them into position with flexing. I presume I don’t need to seal the joints between the two layers of plasterboard since my seals will be happening at the points of contact between the first inner layer of drywall and the studs? I can’t imagine the outer perimeter of both layers of drywall matters? Obviously in the case of a non-inside out wall that would not be the case.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

when in doubt, seal it :-)
Glenn