Splitting mic line signals

What is three phase electrics? how do I wire a patchbay? ask all your techo questions here.

Moderator: Aaronw

No6h

Splitting mic line signals

Post by No6h »

Hey there, a little bit of an odd question I think because I haven't been able to find much about this online, but I'm sure it's a situation that people come across often.

I'm working in a small sized commercial facility at the moment with a small control room, a live room with 24 lines through to the CR, and an iso booth with another 4 lines through to the main room. There's also an adjacent B studio which isn't currently connected electrically to either the booth or the live room, and as part of our future studio plans I'd like to be able to record from either of the two rooms.

As we're working on a limited budget, i was wondering if I could add some sort of split at the pre-existing mic panels in both of the two rooms and allow either of the consoles to connect to these lines - kinda like how a split works in a FOH/Monitor situation. I do realise i'd probably have to add some isolating transformers on one side of the split, but I'm not exactly sure, hence my asking here.

Also I am worried I might run into issues with power grounding, and ground loops between the two rooms - I need to investigate if they're on the same circuit. Could this be fixed if I ran audio power from the first room into the second room, and ran all the interfaces/console off of that power while leaving computers and lighting on the preexisting electricity in the B room.

Just throwing stuff out there.

Noah
DanDan

Re: Splitting mic line signals

Post by DanDan »

Hi Noah. Live Sound has moved over to doing this Digitally. It may be cost effective and better in terms of grounding and loading the mic signals, to look at MADI and such.
No6h

Post by No6h »

Would you mean just having one set of converters (One room has an apogee symphony and the other an antelope orion 32) and then piping MADI through after the conversion from one room to the other?

I think at that point the best option would just be adding more mic panels that are dedicated to the second room.

I was just curious as to whether there's some sort of pre-existing standard for this situation (in a studio environment), but maybe not.

Thanks for your help though!
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

Grounding_&_Shielding_of_Audio_Devices.pdf
Speedskater

Post by Speedskater »

An old Jim Brown (AES) paper:
Microphone Splitters
A tutorial survey of microphone splitters.
http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/Mic_Splitters.pdf
Kevin