Studio Glass

Plans and things, layout, style, where do I put my near-fields etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, kendale, John Sayers

Sinclair

Re: Studio Glass

Post by Sinclair »

gullfo wrote:as a general note, assuming a decoupled wall set, you would also have the windows installed on each wall and also separated so as not to bridge the walls. the small air gap between window jambs can be sealed with caulk or simply masked with cloth. after one window is installed, add the desiccant unit(s) then install the other window. remember to clean the insides of each window before installing it :-)
Will do Glen. Thanks. Sealing the small air gap between window jams is a great idea. The inside glass will be at a slight angle towards the control room. Meaning at the bottom there's 5 inches of space between the two windows. 6 inches at the top.

I am assured that due to the amount of insulation in all the walls and rubber under the flooring, the studio temperature will be very stable and condensation on the glass won't be an issue. I'm still sealing the gap.
Last edited by Sinclair on Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paulus87

Post by Paulus87 »

DanDan wrote:Hi Paul. Could you clarify please? Surely two different thicknesses with a damping layer is better than two equal thicknesses with a damping layer when the overall thickness is greater?
Some reading on the subject (mainly by Andre) :

In particular, post 6 - https://gearspace.com/board/studio-buil ... -room.html
And again, post 6 - https://gearspace.com/board/studio-buil ... -room.html

Of course, it really comes down to how much isolation do you need, how much space can you afford between the panes, and how much are you willing to spend? 19mm glass is stupidly expensive compared to 15mm, just as 15mm is stupidly expensive compared to 8mm... providing that the thinnest pane meets the required isolation for the leaf in which it is installed (unless we're talking concrete blocks, in which case - good luck), there will be small gains by using a thicker pane for the second leaf, but at much greater cost and perhaps unnecessarily. The coincident dip is a non issue with such thick panes with the damping plastic layer.

And an interesting selection of recent INSUL simulations so you can make up your own mind (sorry for the low resolution but this site will not let me upload high res images) - it all seems to be six of one and half a dozen of the other, yet some are much better value than others:
Paul
Paulus87

Post by Paulus87 »

I've drawn up a sketch to show a simple way of building a double window which doesn't require any extra trim, keeps moisture out by use of a neoprene gasket acting as a "cavity closer", and has a place to hide desiccant while still looking presentable. It's about the cheapest way I can think of building a decent window which remains fully decoupled. The thickness of the glass may vary depending on your needs. Anyway, I hope you find it useful and if anyone sees anything that can be improved then please let me know...
Paul
Sinclair

Post by Sinclair »

Good stuff Paul. Thanks.
Sinclair

Post by Sinclair »

Finished the frames for the glass today. They'll be stained tomorrow to match the exposed beams.
Glass goes in this week.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

very nice!
Glenn
Sinclair

Post by Sinclair »

gullfo wrote:very nice!
Thanks Glen. I don't know the all the calculations or algorithms but the space is really starting to coming together.
Sinclair

Post by Sinclair »

Glass in next week. 1/4"-laminate-1/4". Half inch panes two per window. Six panes.
Doors hung today.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

nicely done
Glenn
Sinclair

Post by Sinclair »

Studio glass goes in next week. In the mean time doors and flooring.
Sinclair

Post by Sinclair »

First of 2 panes each for the three windows.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

couple of tips - wear cotton gloves when installing. two - clean thoroughly the inside of the panes before sealing them up. the glass handling suction cup devices are also handy for maneuvering.
Glenn
Sinclair

Post by Sinclair »

gullfo wrote:couple of tips - wear cotton gloves when installing. two - clean thoroughly the inside of the panes before sealing them up. the glass handling suction cup devices are also handy for maneuvering.
Thanks Glenn. Had not thought of cotton gloves.