Ceiling for new studio on ground floor of shared building

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Samhstewart

Ceiling for new studio on ground floor of shared building

Post by Samhstewart »

Hiya

I'm helping design a new studio, on the ground floor of a shared building.
it's currently a big empty concrete shell, we have massive ceiling height and the ceiling material is concrete.

Currently trying to decide on what ceiling hangers suit our need. Looking at getting them from Masons, as I've seen them recommended multiple times on here.

What I'd like to know is the difference in noise reduction between the different types of hanger they offer. The spring ones, the rubber ones, and the spring + rubber ones. We'll be screwing into the concrete ceiling and fully floating the ceiling.

I can tell the spring + rubber hangers are the best, and the simply rubber ones are the worst, but I'm wondering for our application which will be needed. We'll be using about 50 of them because of the size of the ceiling, so there's quite a few contact points, but with the ceiling above being constructed out of thick concrete, I wonder if we'd get away with just the middle ranking hangers?
The building owners are a bit worried about noise, so I'm going towards erring on the side of caution, but also budget is not unlimited.

Has anyone got any experience with the different types of hangers, or could perhaps recommend specific ones?

thanks
gullfo

Re: Ceiling for new studio on ground floor of shared buildin

Post by gullfo »

welcome! the rubber+ spring ones will be your best bet since between the framing grid (likely steel c-channel), the drywall mass (3x 15mm type x), and the hvac bits (vents, silencers, plenums, flex ducts), acoustic treatments (clouds), lights, wiring, plumbing, any fire suppression terminations, etc etc you'll want to get a decent estimation on the weight of each room (you are decoupling them from each room? or is this the "external mass layer" in the MAM? i think the former) so you can estimate the weight per hanger. you will want roughly 25-35% compression but you can work out the loading vs resonance frequency from the vendor charts.
Glenn