DIY Diffractal Diffusors

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

hansaffe

Re: DIY Diffractal Diffusors

Post by hansaffe »

hi,

as i can remember i just cloned the measurements from the RPG diffractal panels... if i remember correctly the fins are 2mm...

just ask an acoustic dealer or rpg for a demo piece (just a little piece of wood) and copy the measures :twisted:

hope this helps
Ro

Post by Ro »

howdy! any pictures of those monsters in action?
hansaffe

Post by hansaffe »

i will upload some pics later :D
2dogs

Post by 2dogs »

First off I'd like to thank all the brilliant people here for diffuser information. I don't understand half of it, but that doesn't matter, its still brilliant.
My goal is simple. I thought I'd be helpful to the thousands of internet users like me who do not have a degree in acoustics engineering, who don't want one, who do not like to be belittled when asking for help, or search endlessly for a simple plan on how to make a diffuser using standard measurements. So, I extrapolated, converted metric measurements and endless posts with incomplete information on how to make one and summarized it into something for the mere mortal. I don't offer claims of grandeur, no scientific techno babble and no cryptic messages that requires a degree to understand. But if you ended up here from a Google search, because you want to build a diffuser that looks like the ones the boys here are building, follow this link and stop reading and getting confused with crap. Good luck. [SPAM REMOVED BY MODERATOR]
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

Let me get this straight: After rejecting our help on the forum, deleting all your earlier posts, and then saying that you had hired a professional acoustic company to build your studio instead, now you are suggesting that everyone should just forget about how acoustics really works, stop using the laws of physics and the principles of the science of acoustics to design their rooms, and instead should "follow this link and stop reading and getting confused with crap"? Is that the plan? Was that what you learned from the "acoustical engineering firm" that built your place? Is that their web site that you linked to?

That link led to a rather cheesy, amateurish web page, touting a plagiarized "device" that the author freely admits never having even tested, stating that he himself has no idea what it does, how it works, or even what frequency range it might happen to cover, but you think it must be great because it "looks like the ones the boys here are building"? :lol: :roll:

Good luck with that! :D

That's about as helpful as suggesting that egg-crates would be good treatment for home studios, because egg-crates just "look like" the sculpted acoustic foam that the "big boys" use....

I once saw a set of photos of a Porsche Carrera made from plastic pipe, wood, duct tape and other things. It too "looked like the ones the boys are driving", but I somewhat doubt that it performed in the same manner... Much like those "diffusers" at the link...

So thanks for the advice, but I think I'll stick to designing places based on the way things really work, not the way things might work in Goofy's wacky dreamland.

- Stuart -

PS:
" I thought I'd be helpful to the thousands of internet users like me who do not want to ... search endlessly for a simple plan on how to make a diffuser using standard measurements."
Sorry, but there's no such thing. Diffusers should be designed for the specific room they are meant to treat. That's why you can't find "standard plans", since all rooms are different. Sure, you CAN hang any old piece of diffuser junk in any room (many acoustically ignorant people do just that!) , and it will have an effect: but there's no saying what the "effect" might be, and the changes are pretty slim that it would be just what the room needed, and pretty darn good that it would not be even close.

Besides, the vast majority of home studios are too small to be able to use these diffusers. Numeric sequence diffusers are only appropriate for large rooms, where there is enough space between the diffuser and people's heads to smooth out the lobing artifacts...

So, for any future lurkers reading this thread months or years from now, who actually do want their rooms to work, please feel free to carry on reading the "crap" on this forum.... it really does work.
gersonlazoq

Post by gersonlazoq »

hansaffe wrote:i´ll do that... when i find some time i could draw a sketchup model for this for those who wanna build their own... cuz its fun

of yourse mdf is not the most beautiful material in the world, but when its spot-lighted and mounted between fabric-covered walls it´ll be dope...

i got to build 2 more... i think that i document that more detailed from now on... :lol:

By the way: its a female carpenter :!: :!: :!: :lol:

Hi Andi,

wonderful project. I wonder if you ever got to do a sketch model of them? I'm looking into building some of these my self and could really use some dimensions.

Stay safe,
Best,
Joelito73

Post by Joelito73 »

hansaffe wrote:
Ro wrote:not that it matters, but this pic says otherwisse
Simulation de rachat de crédit

oh you´re right... :o but i ordered plan mdf :)
Hello, I think it's done well anyway!
tibbon

Post by tibbon »

How did they end up performing in the room? Still using them? I realized I could do this with a router here pretty easily, and I'm about to build diffusers anyway...
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

here's a model of the Argen "lean fractal" diffusers (ignore the center line on the larger panels). in practice you could also use the milled mini diffuser boards as part of the overall unit - although no guarantees it will do much for you without building and testing in your space.
Glenn