Help with Planning & Building of my Recording Studio

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Stadank0

Re: Help with Planning & Building of my Recording Studio

Post by Stadank0 »

Hey Francis. I was about to tell you that I can see them now, but then they stopped working again. I think linking to your google drive instead of uploading them is causing you some problems.

Anyways, I did at least see them to bring back some horrible memories of working with that awful insulation! Oh, how I hate it! Stuart is no longer on this forum, as he finally burned one to many clients and got booted. He has his own forum now over at Soundman2020 I think. Greg still pops in every now and again. I'm not around much cause I'm free from this nightmare! :yahoo: I'm still subscribed to your thread, so I got a notification.

Nice chunk of progress, brings back lots of memories for sure! I resized most of Stuart's original HVAC design for a variety if reasons. Fortunately, HVAC is one of those things whee you can find ample amounts of info and online calculators. Keep going man!
Studio45

Post by Studio45 »

Thanks for the advice! I will do my next posts by uploading the pics instead to be safe.

Yeah, I know you've done crazy amounts of work do date and I can relate to some of the, say "headaches" you've dealt with in the past. I'll show later in another post all the insulation I had to put above the silencer boxes...right at the peak of the ceiling and around the duct work that's there now....that was not fun but glad that part is done for the CR.

Wow! Ok, see I wasn't aware of what happened with Soundman. It's an unfortunate situation, I did not know the extent of his client's work. think I recall reading a few threads where frustrations had been expressed but since I haven't been online much, I guess I missed the big bang. I know he contributed a lot to this board so I'm sure he will carry that over to his new site/forum. I can only imagine how great it must be to be have all this work done and finally be able to enjoy :). I'm doing as much as I can while keeping balance with life so it's not always obvious. I do have dreams of it being all completed sometimes hahaha. Cool! Glad to know I have good people watching! Really do appreciate that you reached out. :thu:

Do you mind if I ask why you needed to re-size? Did you have to redo the whole thing? :shock: I will admit that it's probably the area where I will have learned the most during the build haha. Never expected it to be that complex, but it all makes sense. I had done so much research last year and was able to finally figure out my numbers and with the help of Greg and Stuart was able to design my system.

Alright, I'll create my next post ;)

Have a great weekend!

Francis
Stadank0

Post by Stadank0 »

IIRC, Stuart had sized the main trunk at a 12" square which was inadequate for even a 2 ton system, at least here in the US. I had to re-calc all of the box sizes for main trunk fit as well as spacing between the 2 ceilings. Also, I had to rearrange the orientation on 1 or 2 boxes due access and fit in the attic space.

Took me awhile, but Stuart had gone MIA at that point(one of many episodes). It kept me busy, which helped with the anger and frustration....
Studio45

Post by Studio45 »

Custom Bracing and Strut Support System for HVAC Silencer Boxes

Here's you see how I was able to build some brackets with 2x6 and 3/4" OSB. Everything is glued with PL Premium and fastened with screws. It wasn't obvious trying to get those massive boxes up there but you'll see from the pictures where I bought 4 rope pulley systems on Amazon and was able to create my own lifting winch. Using some hardware, few extra pulleys, nuts and bolts I was able to build something that I can reuse for each lifting of a box. I'll show in later posts the flintstone type winch system haha. My father was there to help and supervise with the first lift. You'll see in the last few pictures when the first "return" box it up there and then I show how I installed a bunch of mineral wool insulation above the box. :)

So there you go! 1 of 4 is done! In the next post, I'll show the 2nd section of the floor that I had to work on and the bracing for the second box. I also had to start installing some of the 10" round duct on there against the peak of the ceiling because once the 2nd box would be lifter, I wouldn't have room to run the duct work. I have to say everything so far is fitting pretty good and very tight in certain areas but it's coming together. Good thing I drafted everything in Sketchup otherwise I would have ran into so many different issues.
Last edited by Studio45 on Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stadank0

Post by Stadank0 »

:thu:
Studio45

Post by Studio45 »

Here are a few extra pictures that show the insulation installed all around the first silencer box.

Deconstruction and Part 2 of 3 of Strengthening Floor Joists
Here are some pics that again show all the following work done:
- Remove existing sub-floor to expose the joists.
- Remove all the spray-foam insulation
- Install (glue and screw) 3/4" OSB on each side of the floor joists with added bridging/bracing.
- Install (glue and screw) new OSB subfloor.

Note that for this second section, I had to open up the floor a little wider since I'm going to have both my inner-leaf walls framed roughly 14" apart so I'm adding bracing and OSB to two separate joists.

Next up....framing, bracing, strut system for 2nd silencer box and some duct installation. :)

Enjoy!
gearjunk1e

Post by gearjunk1e »

Hi Francis
Sorry for being so late to the party but I've been reading through your posts as they have been really helpful in my design work.
But I got to the end and you never posted the set of pictures promised
Studio45 wrote:
Next up....framing, bracing, strut system for 2nd silencer box and some duct installation. :)

Enjoy!
Are you able to do that still?
Andrew
aidanknight

Post by aidanknight »

Wow coming up 6 years on this :shock:
gearjunk1e

Post by gearjunk1e »

aidanknight wrote:Wow coming up 6 years on this :shock:
Yeah :D
I've been looking at posts back to 2011 where the build is doing similar things to me. Always good to see the end of the story and whether it worked out OK
Studio45

Post by Studio45 »

Hey everyone, sorry for not being very active in posting my progress. I promise to comeback soon and post a status update with tons of pics. I'll try and do it this weekend.

In short there's been a lot of good work done and I'm looking forward in sharing and I'm sure will help answer some of your questions. I know this build has been taking forever. I've done a lot of research about attic style studios but there's nothing out there with a room within a room design with full hvac, silencer boxes and inside out walls and ceilings lol. It's been a very long, challenging and frustrating project. At times I'm happy to step away from this lol. It doesn't help that I have many big ongoing projects on our property and the build as you can tell isn't currently #1 on the list. I will say that I'm just about done with a few so good news is the build will be #1 again soon. Lumber material costs have also just been stupid with the pandemic situation but looks like its going down a bit.

Anyways, stay tuned ;)