question about studio materials

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

hally

question about studio materials

Post by hally »

Hi,
While I was preparing the rooms in my Studio for soundproofing I had to rip up many square meters of good quality carpet and carpet underlay, before i banish them to the dump, I thought i'd inquire if there is any possible use for them with regard to soundproofing or later down the road, room treatment. The underlay has a rubbery surface if this is any help...

Thanks
hally
Soundman2020
Site Admin

Post by Soundman2020 »

if there is any possible use for them with regard to soundproofing or later down the road, room treatment.
Soundproofing? Nope. No use at all. Neither carpet nor underlay will help in the least with "soundproofing", since they don't block sound at all. (I guess by "soundproofing" you mean "isolation"?)

Acoustic treatment? Perhaps, possibly, there might be some use, but I doubt it. Unless you plan to carpet part of your floor? Even then, the old stuff is probably not what you really need.
Ro

Post by Ro »

The "carpet underlay", can you post a pic?
It's possible to re-use it underneath your new wooden floor.
hally

Post by hally »

thanks ro, i will take a shot of it later today and post
regards
hally

Post by hally »

Hi Ro, this is the kind of stuff that I have,

http://www.carpet-underlay-shop.co.uk/e ... 100_01.jpg

thanks
hally
Ro

Post by Ro »

Here's a direct view:

Okay, looks valid. If your current (cement?) floor isn't all THAT level, you can add this stuff to "stabalize" your new floor. It'll also prevent is from rattling and "cracking" when walking on it (wood floor on cement can make funny noises, unless you glue it tight to the cementfloor)

It will NOT decouple your floor, but you don't wanna do that any way.
hally

Post by hally »

Many thanks Ro
regards
hally
Avery

Re: question about studio materials

Post by Avery »

Thanks for sharing helping and guiding us about the materials used in the studio. I am taking a helpful guide from here.