Control Room Windows

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Sinclair

Control Room Windows

Post by Sinclair »

First post but have been reading for awhile.
I'm into the 4th week of my build. Other than being over budget it's coming along really nicely.
I now and have a question regarding the angels of the tempered glass I'll be using for the control room.
I'll assume both panes should not be parallel to one another, although I've heard conflicting views on this.

Is there a hard rule about the panes needing to be at an angle? Which side is best to angle, control room or live room or perhaps both as in this diagram. Thanks in advance.

gullfo

Re: Control Room Windows

Post by gullfo »

the angles are for optical reasons (unless they're a significant part of a wall where acoustics could be altered) the angle helps avoid reflections which interfere with the visibility between rooms.
Glenn
Sinclair

Post by Sinclair »

Thanks for your response Glen. Eliminating visual reflection had not even occurred to me. I've recorded in studios over the years (never built one) and always thought it was to help remove standing waves.
Live and learn.

My build is in a 22x26 detached garage. I can't imagine the three CR windows having much effect on sound bouncing around especially after baffles are up.
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

Perhaps it might diminish standing waves between the two glass sheets. Note that such window designs typically have an absorbent perimeter. I have read of issues with misting...... I have experienced many of these as a freelance engineer. Often the optical fails due to locations, reflections from lights etc. I recommend considering TV screens and cameras. Probably cheaper and visually better, plus a place for lyrics and notation, and certainly more soundproof.
Sinclair

Post by Sinclair »

DanDan wrote:Often the optical fails due to locations, reflections from lights etc. I recommend considering TV screens and cameras. Probably cheaper and visually better, plus a place for lyrics and notation, and certainly more soundproof.
All great points DD thanks. At this stage we've committed ourselves to windows as you can see.
Hoping for the best.