Has blown insulation improved?

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

post78

Has blown insulation improved?

Post by post78 »

Years ago I remember blown insulation being a bit of a no-go due to compression over time and the inability to ensure consistency throughout a wall cavity.

Has this changed? Have insulation in installment methods improved? To this day I still recommend the standard pink batts between walls but I have an architect pushing toward blown (not sprayed obviously).

I have my objections as noted above, but if the technology is better now and the results are comparable, I’d love to know. It could save some costs in labor for the client.
Jeremiah Sheets
Sound Engineer | Sound Designer | Composer
post78

Re: Has blown insulation improved?

Post by post78 »

I should note that I’m referring specifically to fiberglass, not cotton or newspaper.
Jeremiah Sheets
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

I have Isover tests which show no difference in performance with a wide range of densities in the void. They also show that a full fill, 100%, no airgaps, is beneficial. So, full fill, lightly pressing against the boundaries, but not compressed, supported from sagging...
post78

Post by post78 »

Thanks Dan! Good to know.
Jeremiah Sheets