REW Measurements Before and After Bass Traps

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Shannanigans

REW Measurements Before and After Bass Traps

Post by Shannanigans »

Hello, I recently built 2' wide floor to ceiling super chunk bass traps from OC703 and installed them in all 4 corners of my mixing room.

I took REW measurements following Soundman2020's instructions both before and after the installation and did not see significant improvement.

Please see attached drawing for room dimensions. Walls are finished sheetrock and 7' 7" tall. Doorways are open to the adjoining rooms so the studio cannot be isolated.

Monitors are Kali LP6 with the dip switches all set flat and mounted on stands that place the point halfway between their high and low drivers 3' 10" above the ground. They are positioned such that they form an equilateral triangle (ELT) with my listening position.

I have taken the following measurements with the monitors in 2 different configurations. The first forms an ELT with 3' long sides. This places the monitors 20% of the distance from the front and side walls. The second forms an ELT with 4' 7" long sides. This puts the monitors as close to the front wall as possible in an attempt to reduce SBIR issues.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b7ko4yaypj0z ... QJJAa?dl=0

I would appreciate the community's opinion on whether I am using REW incorrectly, interpreting the results incorrectly, or treated my room insufficiently. Additionally, assuming the measurements look correct, which of the two monitor positions do you recommend? I will add panels to the walls and ceiling at the first reflection point once I settle on monitor position. Thanks!
DanDan

Re: REW Measurements Before and After Bass Traps

Post by DanDan »

I have found 2' wide corner absorbers very disappointing on several occasions.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

facing the window is a better choice. what happens to the low frequency response when you open the doors?
Glenn
Shannanigans

Post by Shannanigans »

gullfo wrote:facing the window is a better choice. what happens to the low frequency response when you open the doors?
Hi Glenn. To clarify, my listening position currently faces the window. Are you recommending I face my monitors toward the window instead?

Regarding the doorways, they do not have doors. They are open archways that cannot be closed off.
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

so, facing window - ok

the open doorways are why your LF response doesn't change significantly - you already have the best LF control - opening in the wall allowing the LF to escape. however, that's energy levels, your issue could be floor-ceiling or side-to-side standing waves - esp if the shift of the speakers and listening position don't change the overall LF (which if it was SBIR you'd see it).

so cloud and side wall absorption is your next test.
Glenn