are my acoustic results professional now?

How to use REW, What is a Bass Trap, a diffuser, the speed of sound, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

jovicremo

are my acoustic results professional now?

Post by jovicremo »

hello everyone I have just finished treating the acoustics of my vocal booth which is 5x4 meters. I have done the measurements and the frequency response is quite flat and the reverberation time around 180ms which is also quite linear with a tolerance within 100ms as required by ebu tech, do you think I have reached a professional level?
gullfo

Re: are my acoustic results professional now?

Post by gullfo »

in general, how much work do you need to get the vocals to sound right? (assuming good selection of microphone for a given voice and electronics etc) if not much, then you have achieved a professional result. if not and you have a lot of post processing like EQ and noise/etc reductions, then it's possible its not working as expected. a 4x5m room is pretty substantial for a vocal booth. i'd suggest also testing it with drums and amps as well to see if you're finding success there as well.
Glenn
jovicremo

Post by jovicremo »

gullfo wrote:in general, how much work do you need to get the vocals to sound right? (assuming good selection of microphone for a given voice and electronics etc) if not much, then you have achieved a professional result. if not and you have a lot of post processing like EQ and noise/etc reductions, then it's possible its not working as expected. a 4x5m room is pretty substantial for a vocal booth. i'd suggest also testing it with drums and amps as well to see if you're finding success there as well.
I only record the voice, but mine is a question, not an affirmation. do you think my measurement results are good?
gullfo

Post by gullfo »

from what i can tell - you've used too low a level in the room to get proper readings. you should be testing the room minimum 75db and preferably 85db. use the instructions provided in the REW manual to calibrate the levels and re-run the tests. typically you put the full range speaker in a lower corner position, and the omnidirectional mic in the opposite high corner position typically pointed up but if there is a lot of absorption there, i'd point it down. in theory, shouldn't matter, in practice...
Glenn
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

The RT60 suggests you have probably done a good job. Is this a Mix room as well as Vocal Recording area?
Some more info would be useful. In many spaces the ceiling is the nearest and loudest boundary to the standing singers mic. Cloud.
Measurements? What Mic, One or two speakers? Where, at the mouth position?
jovicremo

Post by jovicremo »

DanDan wrote:The RT60 suggests you have probably done a good job. Is this a Mix room as well as Vocal Recording area?
Some more info would be useful. In many spaces the ceiling is the nearest and loudest boundary to the standing singers mic. Cloud.
Measurements? What Mic, One or two speakers? Where, at the mouth position?
in reality the rt30 measured in some points is even more precise than the measurement I posted. I would say that from the measurement it seems too perfect the work, the acoustics seem quite controlled, but the sound when I record the voices seems a bit unnatural to me, it gives me the impression as if some annoying mid frequencies are heard, or maybe the real problem is that the room have a low rt30 and therefore it sounds slightly unnatural to me, despite the frequency response and the decay time are very flat.

I would like to use this room only to record vocals, I think it is still a great room as a control room, but I don't like recordings. The ceiling is 100% treated with knauf planet panels (it is a modular ceiling made up of 60x60cm panels lowered by 20 cm and inside I have put additional low density mineral wool), consider that these knauf panels do not absorb much the medium-low frequencies, they mainly absorb from 1000hz upwards (but they are not very absorbent because they are semi-rigid, I believe they have a density greater than 100kg and I state that it was my choice not to absorb much low frequencies in order to maintain a longer decay time tall )

one wall is completely filled with 3 cm of rock wool covered with a thin plastic that reflects the high frequencies (the wall where the TV is)

one wall is filled with 7 cm of 50kg rock wool (without plastic)

the other walls are almost completely reflective

in the room there is a large sofa of 5 meters which absorbs further
jovicremo

Post by jovicremo »

my audio chain is a wa47 warm audio microphone inside an apollo x6 audio interface, i also tried other microphones, so i don't think the problem is my audio chain. maybe the decay time is low for a room of this size (5.5x4 meters)
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

Depends on what you are expecting? And whose voice are you using for testing? As far as I can tell Planet tiles are 45% or more reflective. A standing singer and mic near that is bound to catch some nasty reflections.