Snake Oil

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

AVare
Confused, but not senile yet

Snake Oil

Post by AVare »

I howled when I read this.

http://ceramicadditive.com/acousticoat.html

Get back on your chair now.

Who needs comedians with product marketing like this?

For those interested, the finish thickness is 10 mils, so assuming a generous flat absoption down to 1/15 the wavelength, the material is effective down to 6 kHz!
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

Yeah, made a comment over on RO :?

"the material is effective down to 6 kHz!" - jeez, even that's got a cheap alternative - check this out (specifically the one peak in absorption)

http://www.acousticsfirst.com/docs/egg.PDF

Wonder which one is more flammable... Steve
cadesignr

Post by cadesignr »

You got to be friggin kidding! Hey Steve, is this a joke? Seriously, is it?

It shows absorption of almost 5 sabines at 250 hz and drops to 0 at 160 hz. :shock: FOR EGGCRATES :lol: .......this has to be a joke. And that paint......never ceases to amaze me at the blatant $%&^&($%&^lies in american marketing.

fitZ
alright, breaks over , back on your heads......
z60611

Post by z60611 »

Avare: Yeah, also made a comment over on RO
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

No joke, Fitz - that's purportedly an actual test done at Riverbank.

Embarrassing disclosure - 20 years ago, band practicing in poorly planned (built while even dumber than now) room, I installed carpet pad under egg cartons on one 8 x 12 section of wall behind drummer and me, trying to cut down feedback problems @ 6.3 kHz band - IT WORKED!!?! - (It later became evident that the culprit was a wierd mic holder I was using attached to my keyboard stand - made by Luxo, basically one of their tensor lamps with a mic thread adapter in place of the lamp holder. Discovered I could grab the frame of the mic holder and stop the feedback...

Looking back, I see that apparently the egg cartons absorbed enough @ 6.3k to lessen the excitation of the mic holder...

It's still there, although the room is now just storage - enjoy the laugh, then bugger off :evil: Steve
Aaronw

Post by Aaronw »

:lol: :lol:
cadesignr

Post by cadesignr »

enjoy the laugh, then bugger off Steve
OK. :lol: :lol: :shock: OOPS, almost forgot. :lol: Did the same thing with eggrates over sheetrock in 72'. Covered the ENTIRE interior of a garage over sheetrock with CONTACT CEMENT. At the end of the day, I thought I was on LSD, no joke. :roll: Oh well, along with old age, comes reflection. Ha! Hindsight is 20/20, but damn is it painfull :cry:
fitZ :D
knightfly

Post by knightfly »

"Hindsight is 20/20, but damn is it painfull" -

Hate to state the obvious, but you just need a pointier head and a bigger butt, then it won't hurt as much... :roll:

(Sorry, couldn't resist)
cadesignr

Post by cadesignr »

:? No smily huh? I was just kiddin with ya Steve. But I'll take the hint. No prob.
fitZ :(
z60611

Post by z60611 »

Humor

Internet product of the week "Does your significant other object to the look of your tower speakers in the middle of her living room? Our speakers are designed to be operated from a adjacent room. To overcome the thickest walls each of our speakers has a tweeter horn with an internal amplifier rated at 600 watts. Installation is simple. Simply attach our radio transmitter to the line outs of your amplifier, and place the speaker in the adjacent room. Press the ‘calibrate’ button on the radio transmitter. This will play swept sine waves at four different loudness levels from the speaker. A microphone in our radio transmitter will measure your walls and adjust EQ to compensate. Stereo operation requires three rooms: a speaker room to either side, and a listener room in the middle."