Advice for a new irregular room

How thick should my walls be, should I float my floors (and if so, how), why is two leaf mass-air-mass design important, etc.

Moderators: Aaronw, sharward

Felipe Nareba

Advice for a new irregular room

Post by Felipe Nareba »

Hello everyone!

I recently started a topic on Gear Space and after several searches I found this precious space.
First of all, I want to thank you for existing this space with so much valuable information and all the professionals who take the time to do this.

My reason for coming here is to get some treatment advice and see if I'm going in the right direction.
I have a new room that will be my space for mixing and some recording.
The priority is to be an appropriate room to handle Mixing and productions. There is also a small room that I thought I would use as a vocal booth.

Dimensions are problematic, I know, but this opportunity fell into my life as a way to start over. The room is under my house and my cost to maintain it will be very low.

The Room has the dimensions:
Depth 5.32m x Width 2.83m x Height 2.81m

The Room Has Irregular Measures and also inside it has the underside of a concrete staircase and concrete beams. The entire construction is made of concrete and I don't worry about soundproofing. If I can mix in silence it's already a big step for me because I'm currently working in my living room, with minimal treatment and a lot of outside noise that makes the workflow almost impossible.

I don't have any budget available but I have all the material from my old studio in storage, wood, fiberglass and rock wool, acoustic doors and so on.

I am attaching the images made in SKP that illustrate the room.

1- For my workflow, it would be more appropriate to position myself in position 2. How much does this position affect the stereo image? Behind and on top of the monitors is the ladder, would that be too much trouble?

2 - Posic 1 thought it would be very difficult to deal with the first reflections due to the existing doors and windows, but would this be the most appropriate?

3 - What measurements do I need to take correctly to define the best positioning? Do I place the monitors in a triangle on either side of the room and do the sweeps?

Forgive me if I've done something wrong so far. I took a measurement with the speakers facing the corners and analyzed the room's responses on both sides. The Mic was positioned 0.375 away from the length of the room.

I haven't started any construction process yet and I'm researching and studying hard to find the best solution for my needs.

MDAT LINK:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
gullfo

Re: Advice for a new irregular room

Post by gullfo »

welcome! the entrance - is that generally active for the house or just your studio? if it's just your studio, position 1 may make sense although (assuming you're facing the long wall) you'll need to consider some alterations to the space to keep side-to-side symmetry.
Glenn
Felipe Nareba

Post by Felipe Nareba »

gullfo wrote:welcome!
Thank You.
the entrance - is that generally active for the house or just your studio? if it's just your studio, position 1 may make sense although (assuming you're facing the long wall) you'll need to consider some alterations to the space to keep side-to-side symmetry.
Thanks for your answers, Glenn!

I was coming here again after realizing that more detailed information was missing and I found your comment.
The space is just for my studio. It is on the ground floor of the property and the entrance is individual.
This space is a kitchenette, with a balcony, bathroom and kitchen. On top of it is my house where I live with my wife and our 2 dogs.
On top of our house is another apartment. The construction of the building is made of concrete, like most constructions here in Brazil.
Felipe Nareba

New Tests

Post by Felipe Nareba »

Yesterday I placed the monitors and took baseline measurements in both positions, with the room completely empty, without a chair and with the computer and console on the floor. Cover the empty spaces where the doors will enter with mdf sheets to take measurements.

After baseline measurements, I took measurements in position 2, placed the bags with the glass fibers in the lateral positions, behind the monitors and on the back wall and the results already look much better. I put music to listen to, songs that I always use to get to know the place, and also some songs that I mixed that are on streaming networks. I've already blessed the room with Shine on Crazy Diamond and it felt good.
1.jpeg
I still prefer to choose position 2 if it doesn't compromise the treatment.

In position 1 the manual work seems to be much more arduous, after all I'm going to build it and I have some difficulties in doing it myself. In position 1 it has 2 doors and a window
WhatsApp Image 2021-09-30 at 13.53.10.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-09-30 at 13.53.09 (1).jpeg

In position 2 it has 1 door and the ladder
WhatsApp Image 2021-09-30 at 13.53.07 (2).jpeg
What do you think about these graphics?

Position 1 Measurements:
Spl Posic 1 Baseline L+R.jpg
WATF POSIC 1 BASELINE.jpg
SPEC POSIC 1 BASELINE.jpg
Position 2 measurements:
Spl Posic 2 Baseline L+R.jpg
WATF POSIC 2 BASELINE.jpg
SPEC POSIC 2 BASELINE.jpg

Posic 2 measurements with absorption:
SPL ABSOR POSIC 2.jpg
WATF POSIC 2 ABSORPTION.jpg
SPEC POSIC 2 ABSORPTION.jpg
Last edited by Felipe Nareba on Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanDan

Post by DanDan »

Olá, bem-vindo. LOL, no mas, pelo hablo espanol.
Probably best to post a link to your .mdat file so we can look into it changing graph zooms and scales.
Our ceilings are 2.45 here so you have a bit to play with. I suggest a suspended ceiling. Be sure your tiles are fully absorbent, no blocking layer. Fill above with light fibre.
I think you could afford 60cm? For the narrow width.....VPRs with a fibre front are a great full range system but only 10-20cm thick.
Felipe Nareba

Post by Felipe Nareba »

DanDan wrote:Olá, bem-vindo.

Obrigado! Gracias! LOL
LOL, no mas, pelo hablo espanol.

Que bueno! Disse muito bem.
Probably best to post a link to your .mdat file so we can look into it changing graph zooms and scales.
I updated my previous post and managed to include the room pictures.
I thought it also included the link to mdat e pics.
Here it is:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Our ceilings are 2.45 here so you have a bit to play with. I suggest a suspended ceiling. Be sure your tiles are fully absorbent, no blocking layer. Fill above with light fibre.
I think you could afford 60cm? For the narrow width.....VPRs with a fibre front are a great full range system but only 10-20cm thick.
Initially thinking of lowering the ceiling by 2.50m to have a more comfortable feeling in the room, 35cm with light fiber 16kg/m³ and fabric to cover.
The side walls are narrow and I'm always getting customers to the place, I'd like it to look wide, even though it's not hehe.

I will show you my treatment plans as soon as I have some thoughts on placement. I have wood for framing with 20cm deep.

In your opinion, the positioning made from position 2 as I show in the photos, will it be very difficult to have a good stereo image? Will this ladder on top of the monitors be an impediment?